chapter 1) The replacement.

'bzzt-bzzt-bzzt'

I wake up to the vibrations of my phone notoriously buzzing. As I Flip the sheet over my head, my hair gently whisks across my face as I expose myself to the soft breeze coming from the open balcony door.

As I turn my phone to the screen, I see notification after notification- Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, hell even facebook. Before I can even read the entirety of one, another notification would pop up. Before taking action, my eyes wander to my boyfriend, who's sitting calmly on the open balcony- legs crossed, enjoying the morning paper, with a view of river Thames, and a black coffee in hand. Obviously oblivious to whatevers just occurred, I called for him to witness it together.

"lucas! Come over here!"

He looks up from his paper and a smile appears on his face. He puts down his coffee on paper to the table beside him and walks over to our bed. He greets me with a kiss and greets me with a good morning. As we almost get lost in eachothers eyes, we're interrupted by my phone, which had seemed to take a minute to chill. Lucas looks down at my phone, then back up to me with a questioning look on his face. As he reads the notifications, he fixes his posture, his smile fades, and his hand reaches up to cover his mouth. He looks back up at me, now standing in horror with his eyes wide open.

" I have to make a call."

I pick up the fallen phone to read headlines, messages, posts and tweets- about Lucas' replacement, how he has lost his seat and is being replaced. And then I read the same headlines, messages, posts and tweets- but this time about my welcome into Formula 1.

No...no..no this cannot be happening. One one hand, the love of my life just lost his job- his passion, something that he's been working towards his entire life. Although on the other hand, I've just got my seat into Formula 1, something that I've been trying to do since I was 4 years old. I can't explain it, i'm so excited to finally drive in F1, to travel the world for racing, to make my parents' hard work finally worth it. But I know it's gonna put a strain on Lucas and I. I know how much this meant to him, and I know how it feels to have it all taken away and thrown out.

But that's the thing about formula 1- If you don't exceed everyone's expectations, if you don't out-perform everyone from your league... F1 is not for you.

I, Tatum Clark, former f3 and f2 champion, will now be racing for red bull racing, alongside Max Verstappen in Formula One.

I finally get out of bed, after reading some headlines and trying to call christian Horner. he had hinted to me in the past that I would be a great fit for red bull, however I never would have thought he would take action upon his words. ifs anything, I was expecting to be considered as a reserve driver, or be welcomed into 'Alphatauri' ( Redbull's junior team) I never would have even dreamed of taking Lucas' spot, but in this sport, I wasn't about to reject a seat with the most dominant team in formula 1. Im not that stupid. 

Even though Ive called him a few times, as im getting ready, I decide not to chase after him. I know Lucas, And I know he needs his space right now. especially from me. just as im about to walk out the apartment door, I get an un expected call from my future teammate.

" Hey Tatum!"

"what's up max? I guess you heard the news huh."

"yeah well me and Christian kinda already discussed it. im the one who told him to get you in the second seat"

what? why would max wanna replace his teammate with me? I know Max and I have known each other since karting- hell the whole grid knows each other since karting- but I didn't think he thought I was better than Lucas. 

After I don't reply, Max speaks up again,

" Listen Tatum, ive gotta go, you know, um media stuff. but I think we should have a little celebration dinner? with the team?"

"Max thanks for the offer but I think il talk to Lucas about all this first"

god dammit. Max is the one who got Lucas kicked out. I mean as much as I am grateful towards him, I never would have seen this coming. Lucas and Max weren't only teammates, but they were really good friends too.

Finally I leave the apartment to look for Lucas. Thankfully it wasn't too hard, as I found him sitting in a coffee shop a block away. confidently, I go up to him from behind and put my arms around him, as he usually hugs me back. Instead he turns and throws me off, making me tumble backwards a bit.

"what the hell Tatum"

I look at him puzzled, does he think I did this?

" I can't believe you would steal my seat like that. you disgust me Tatum."

he scoffs and turns back towards his coffee. I can't believe he thinks I would go behind his back to take his seat!

" Wow Lucas you really think I would do that? you think I would purposefully take your seat?"

I have tears in my eyes as I now stand over him in the coffee shop, as everyone stares, and some begin recording. Before either of us say another word, I realize what a pr disaster this has become, and instead I walk out of the coffee shop. I expected Lucas to run after me. I really really did. But when I turned to have a glimpse of him, I only saw him sitting in the coffee shop, looking into his drink. my walk turns into a jog as I make my way back to my apartment. I slam the front door as I enter as I begin to sob. my back slides down the wooden door and I find myself crying on the floor.

I pull out my phone and decide to shoot Max a text.

"lets celebrate it tonight. just us though, idk if im ready to meet the whole team." 

his response comes in within the minute-

"alrighty, il pick you up at 7."