𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚜𝚑 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑

He swore to himself to never set foot at that place again. It has given enough nightmares to him and it worsens ever since his friends disappeared without a trace. It didn't end there, even after he graduated people would go missing from time to time. Whether it be a teacher, a student, a janitor or even a passerby, all the cases leads back to where they were last seen: the school.

At least that's what all he could gather.

In all those two years in college, he mostly have not received a single call from his mother, her of all people. She gets worried enough to constantly call him when he's out of town, just like back when he's at summer camp. How much more would he expect when he'd study at the University that's states away?

"Remember, Yasu. Call us immediately when you get there."

Those words are still embedded into his mind to this day. And they did exchange calls, for the first few months. And then nothing.

He'd wished to think it's only because she's too busy taking care of his dad, whose condition is getting worse over the years. But thinking about it now, their house is just few streets away from the school. And that frightens him.

That leads him to where he is now. Inside a convenience store, tearing a pack of newly bought batteries open. It was a sudden trip back home so he barely have money left from his savings. He really hoped this old flashlight he currently have still works.

Just arrived late at night, he decided to book a room nearby. He still have no courage of what awaits for him back home.

"Mom will never missed a chance to call me, I just knew it." Yasu muttered to himself as he popped the batteries into his flashlight. He put the cap back on and push the switch.

"Thank God" he whispered under his breath, seeing the flashlight lit up. He turns it off and went outside.

Just as he expected, the warm meals he just had earlier is not enough to keep him warm in this cold night. It gives him shivers the moment he stepped out of the store. Good thing he bought a coffee to aid him along the way.

What he did never expect is that he'll go to the place he swore he'll never go to again. And this is not the first time either. He broke in a couple of times back when he was still a student. He was lucky enough to never get caught. For what reason? To look for his friends of course.

And now, all he want to look for are answers. At least, some proof that his parents didn't went there. And some things his friends could left behind- a shoe, a piece of clothing, anything.

Even to this day, you still bother to look for them.

Because he still care. He just know they're still there, somewhere. Waiting to be found. And he will do anything to get them back.

And even until now you still see them as your friends.

What kind of question is that? They are still his friends. They're the ones who helped him "fit in" . They get him to experience what he never done before. Through them he get to be daring and elusive, compared to his pathetic self in the past.

He admits that they're not as good as they seemed. But hey, everyone has a fair share of flaws, including himself.

For once, Yasu, just once, think of the way they see you. You think you're one of them, but do they thought the same way? Or you're just another subject for them to use?

The pacing speeds up as he walks, becoming less wary of his steps. He took a big gulp of coffee, in an attempt to clear his mind. Needless to say, he cared less of what his conscience is telling him. And he will continue to deny the harsh truth that's already shown to him.