Chapter 12: The Best Day

It's finally Friday the thirteenth, Katie's birthday, and it's a little after five in the morning. Normally, I'd never willingly wake up this early, but I figure it'd be better to give Katie her presents before school than wait until after. I also want to stop and get some breakfast for the two of us before heading over. After taking a quick shower and throwing on my uniform, I grab my backpack and quietly make my way outside, being careful not to accidentally wake up my parents or Alex.

~

It's close to six when I pull up into Katie's driveway. The living room light's on, Ms. Simmons must be awake. I pull out my phone to text her, since she had given me her number a few weeks ago so I could call or text her if something happened.

D: Hey, I'm here to bring Kate her presents and some breakfast. Could you let me in? I don't wanna end up accidentally waking her up by knocking. (5:59 A.M.)

A moment later, the front door slowly opens. Ms. Simmons stands in the doorway, a mug of coffee in her hand. She's wearing black sweatpants and a baggy light gray sweatshirt. Her long red hair is tied back in a messy braid and she's holding a mug full of coffee. She gives me a tired, but kind smile as I step inside. I spot a small wrapped box and an envelope on the coffee table.

"Morning, Dani. The birthday girl's still asleep. What did you get her?" She greets me with a small yawn, gesturing to my backpack that I'm using to carry all of the stuff me and Jessica had bought.

"Some shoes and a new dress for the party tonight, and a few notebooks. Nothing too crazy." I explain with a smile. "I bought you some breakfast, too. I didn't want to leave out my favorite teacher." I pull a wrapped bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich out from the Dunkin Donuts bag.

"Oh my god, you're a mind reader, I've been craving one of these since I woke up." She thanks me, taking the sandwich and quickly unwrapping it.

"No problem. Are you gonna come to the party tonight?" I keep my voice soft. I don't want to risk Katie being awake and overhearing us.

Ms. Simmons shakes her head. "I was actually going to tell you in class today, I'm going out with a few of the other teachers for dinner tonight. I wouldn't want people to feel uncomfortable because one of their teachers is there. Plus, I don't want to watch my daughter and her friends drinking, which I'm assuming most of the people attending will be." She tells me quietly. "Anyway, I don't want to keep you waiting. You know where Katie's room is, go up and surprise her."

With those final words, I turn and make my way up the stairs, trying my best to not make too much noise. Once I reach Katie's room, I open the door a crack and peek inside. She's lying on her bed facing away from the door. I slowly enter, making my steps as light as I can manage. I'm about halfway across the room when Katie starts moving, making me freeze. She's not awake, is she?

"That you, Mom?" Her voice drones out. I guess that answers my question. I place my backpack on the floor as she turns her head to look at me.

"Oh, it's you, what the fuck?" She asks, her voice groggy as she rubs her eyes and reaches over to grab her phone off of her nightstand. I can't help but laugh at her half-asleep state.

"Damn, I was gonna try to scare you awake or something. I thought you were still sleeping." I say, placing the bag with our breakfast and our drinks on her nightstand to give my hands a break. Katie only yawns, running a hand through her hair in an attempt to tame her bedhead.

"Right, well, I'm awake. Sorry to disappoint. I woke up early and I've just been waiting for my alarm to go off because it's still early and I don't wanna go downstairs yet. Speaking of early, what the hell are you doing here?" She inquires as she reaches over to turn on the small lamp propped up on her nightstand. I wait for my eyes to adjust to the change in lighting, then grab my backpack.