Missing Home - CHAP 4

It was an ordinary night at the mall.
Well, ordinary, except for the fact that the Lost and Found was exceptionally chilly. It wasn't uncommon for the heater to malfunction, but tonight was way colder than it should've been, even for a standard failure.
In typical fashion, though, that didn't deter the bots who lived there from having fun, busying themselves with a new board game they'd found amongst the abandoned objects, huddling together for warmth and using a blanket they'd recovered to shield themselves from the frigid temperatures.

One of them, though, sat above in his nest, staring blankly at the wall as he sat in his bed, looking at the picture tacked on the corkboard. It was of him and his two best friends, smiling gleefully.

It was a reminder of a better time.

He shivered, pulling the blanket over his head as he tried to stay warm. "This wouldn't be happening if I was with the Hubs," he grumbled. As as the words escaped his mouth, he felt a sinking feeling, guilt weighing on his shoulders as he heard the other 4 below him cheer as they got on with their festivities.
He couldn't stay angry at them. This situation wasn't their fault.

He sat there brooding, trying to think of something that'd make him feel better. His mind kept drawing back to activities he did with his old squad, how they always stuck together and did activities with one another.

He recalled how they'd all huddle together when it was cold. He missed hearing their voices. He missed the sights, the smells of the food court.

He missed them.

But he couldn't just waltz into the food court and beg them to let him stay-- it'd be pathetic of him, and he didn't need his reputation to be lower than it was already.

But he could recreate what he had.
A lightbulb went off in his head, and he slid out of bed, leaping to the floor below.

"Lost Bots!" He called over to the group, wrapping himself up in his blanket like a cloak. "I have a plan!"

"Coach, is this another one of your schemes so we can finally be with our squads?" Kikmee asked, her voice almost hesitant. "'Cuz, if it is, we kinda just wanted to hang tonight. As much as I love a good game, it's way too cold for us to be out there."

"Agreed. And besides, I love this blanket!" Dimlit chimed in, happily snuggling deeper into the cloth. "It's the perfect texture, like petting clouds..."

Burgertron chuckled smugly, waving his hand dismissively. "Pfft, nah. I'm not putting you guys through that. We can do that tomorrow night, but tonight... I figured I'd teach you some of the basics of being in a squad! And, considering that the Dave-Being is probably going to stay very much out of this room for the next few nights, with the space heater being on the fritz, I have the perfect starting point! It'll be another learning experience for you all."

"Yeah, a "learning experience", like that time you tried to swordfight Bonz and got knocked on your aft? Right." Kikmee teased. "Hey- That was one time! 'Lest we forget the time I mopped the floor with you at chess, Miss "I play games to win". " The burger-bot shot back, Kikmee opening her mouth to say something before Clogstopper interrupted.

"Okay, I appreciate you two having a sibling duel or whatevz', but I'm way more invested in what Burgertron was trying to say."

"Indeed. I am curious as to what you have planned." Bonz-Eye finally spoke up, looking directly at the leader, who grinned.

"I was hoping you'd say that!"

He sat down next to the other bots, forming a circle. "So, as you all know, as the former leader of the Hunger Hubs, I know anything and everything about how squads work! And since you guys are out of the loop with all that sorta stuff, I figured I'd take it upon myself to fill you in on all the inner workings. Starting wiiiiith..." He drummed on his lap for suspense. "Communal nests!"