13

The TV sounds in the dim room. I sink into the cozy depths of the sofa, watching the TV screen flicker to life, illuminating the room with a soft glow. I find myself drawn into the opulent lives of the rich and glamorous. The characters, draped in designer attire and surrounded by lavish settings, navigate a world where power, wealth, and status reign supreme. Right now, the Queen Bee of the group is being challenged by one of the other women and the tension is just brewing. Now that I think about it, rick folks are no different from regular folks.

As I immerse myself in the chaotic drama unfolding on the TV screen, my phone buzzes, interrupting my focus. I glance down to see a message from my mom. Ignoring the two women locked in a fierce battle, I respond to her with a quick text.

Mom: When are you coming home?

Me: I'm not sure. I'll try.

Almost immediately, another message comes through, this time from my mom again. Her words tug at my heartstrings.

Mom: Well, can I at least hear your voice? Your dad and I miss you...

I hesitate, torn between the show's gripping spectacle and the longing in my parents' messages. The urge to connect with them surges within me, and I quickly type out my reply.

Me: I'll make time to call you, I promise. Me: I'll tell you guys everything soon.

The room suddenly floods with bright light, temporarily blinding me. I instinctively hide my phone within the cushions of the sofa, startled by the unexpected intrusion. As my vision adjusts, I squint at the figure standing before me, white shirt that clings on to his muscles.

"What the hell?" I exclaim, taken aback by the sudden appearance.

Gael, equally surprised, looks at me with a bewildered expression. "I thought you were sleeping."

The TV screen flickers in the background while we still lock eyes. I shift on the couch and Gael steps into the room.

"Don't you ever knock?"

"It's my house, I can do whatever I want, remember?"

I keep my eyes trained on Gael entering the room and sitting in the empty space next to me. His eyes flicker on me in my sleeping clothes and then back to the screen. "Two chicks beating each other up? Not surprised you like watching this kind of stuff."

"What does that mean?"

He grinned. "I know what kind of woman you are underneath that niceness. That's why I picked you for the most important role of the mission."

"Is that why you wanted me to buy a dress?"

"Perhapes."

"I need answers. About where we were heading, what the hell we were doing."

"To keep this short, there's a gang; the Thunder Dragons."

"Thunder Dragons?" I snort. "What a name."

"Laugh all you want but these people are formidable. They keep messing with us so we're gonna crash and send them a little message."

"So what am I getting out of this?" I cross my arms.

Gael shifts a bit closer to me on the couch, craning his neck and keeping eye contact. "We can discuss that later when you do your part."

I lean into his face, matching his gaze. "I don't believe a single word that comes out of your mouth."

"Then what do I have to do to make you believe me?"

"First I need you to say 'When you fulfill your duties Leilani Mintz, we are hereby allowed to return home to your normal life. And you, Gael Whitlock will reimburse everything you have taken from me."

Gael grins, shaking head. "You are something else."

"I'm not joking."

He pauses, hesitating for a moment then finally saying, "Fine. I, Gael Withlock promise–"

I feel a vibration on the couch and Gael seems to have noticed it too. Panic shows on my face when Gael looks at me with suspicion.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"It sounded like a phone. You know I'm going to have to confiscate any device you own for protection reasons..."

"I don't have a phone. Mine was stolen." I smile awkwardly.

Gael watches me for a quick moment then says. "I don't believe you."

"Why?"

"I need to check you first."

I hold my breath in panic when she suddenly nears me. His muscles are more prominent under his shirt and I could see parts of his tattoo peaking through his white shirt. "I don't think that is a great idea." I push on his chest gently with my feet and that seems to have set something locked up inside of him free.

He wrapped his hand around my ankle, making straight eye contact with me. "You are playing with fire, Leilani."

I gently pull my leg away from him, matching his stare. "Really? I thought I was playing in hell all this time–"

I sit frozen in place, my breath catching in my throat, as Gael's lips crash against mine with an intensity I never saw coming. His passionate kiss sends shockwaves through my entire being, igniting a fire that I didn't realize lay dormant within me. In that moment, time stands still as desire and surprise intertwine.

My hands instinctively find their way into Gael's hair, fingers intertwining with the soft strands. The touch acts as an unspoken invitation, and he responds by placing his hand gently on my waist, drawing me closer. The heat radiating from his body envelops me, making me forget everything but the sensation of his lips against mine.

As the kiss deepens, a wave of surrender washes over me. I yield to the intoxicating connection, my inhibitions melting away. The boundaries that once separated us blur as our bodies lean into one another, seeking an intimacy that goes beyond words.

And then, as our passion intensifies, I feel Gael's hand venture further, his touch grazing my thigh. Heat floods my cheeks as my heart races, torn between the intensity of the moment and the uncertainty that accompanies it.

His attempts to part my thighs, to bring us even closer, sends a surge of conflicting emotions through me. The desire to yield to his touch warms my body, yet caution whispers in my ear, reminding me of the importance of consent and communication.

I gently break the kiss, my breath ragged as I meet Gael's gaze. My voice trembles slightly as I speak, a mix of desire and self-preservation shaping my words.

"Uh," I sound.

Gael's eyes search mine, hint of mingling desire. His hand withdraws. "The mission is tomorrow night. Get ready while you can." He pats my knee then leaves me here alone, wondering what the hell just happened. 

꧁꧂

thanks for voting and sharing ♥