Chapter 1: Prologue

May 2nd, 1998

"Why doesn't it work for me?" Voldemort started to pace back and forth in the boat house. Severus watched his every move as he wondered why he was called down here.

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my lord. In the last few hours alone-" Severus spoke softly.

"No!" Voldemort spat at Severus, "I am extraordinary! But the wand resists me," Voldemort looked closely at the elder wand.

"There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander himself said it. Tonight, when the boy comes to you, it will not fail you, I am sure. It answers to you and you only," Severus tried to reassure him.

"Does it?" he questioned as he eyes Severus

"My Lord?" Severus says softly.

"The wand. Does it truly answer to me?" Voldemort snarls at Severus.

"You're a clever man, Severus. Surely you must know," Voldemort's mouth twitches.

Severus remains silent. Looking at Nagini who was slowly slithering across the floor.

"Where, Severus? Where does its loyalty lie?"

"With you, of course, my Lord," Severus stared at Nagini intently watching its every move.

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, Severus, because I am not its true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. Ollivander was quite explicit about that. You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elder Wand cannot be truly mine," Severus looks at Nagini who was curling into a ball.

"My Lord --"

"You have been a good and faithful servant, Severus," Voldemort raises the wand, points it at his throat, and cuts a deep gash into him. Severus falls to the ground clutching his now bleeding throat.

"But only I can live forever," Voldemort says looking at Nagini. "Nagini, kill."

Severus shifts his eyes to Nagini and she strikes at him.

One strike. Two strikes. Three strikes.

"Nagini, come," in an instant Voldemort and Nagini were gone.

Severus shifts his eyes to the three Gryffindors coming into the boat house. All of them with fear in their eyes. Harry kneels on the ground and put his hand on Severus' neck. Severus' eyes shift to Miss. Granger as she starts to drip small tears down her dirty face. Severus starts to cry. "Take them," he looks back at Harry. Harry gives him a confused look. "Take them," he begs.

Suddenly, Severus grabs Harry by his collar and pulls him close. "Please."

"Give me something, quickly, a flask, anything."

Hermione conjures a flask with magic and hands it to Harry. "They are the same," Severus' weak voice said.

"You have your mother's eyes," Severus' dark eyes glistening. Harry gathers his potions professor's tears and looks at them. They went from clear tears to light blue.

"Go now," Severus says not wanting the three Gryffindors to see him die. He would finally be free.

"I will be right behind you," Granger says to her friends as they disappear up the hill. He wondered why she had stayed since he had been terrible to her. "What are you doing, Miss. Granger?" he spoke softly.

"You know I can't let you die," she sniffled as she got down and straddled his legs. "You may be a pain in the arse, but I love you, Severus."

Severus' heart skipped a beat as she stared at him. Her brown eyes were without fear as she straddled her nearly-dead professor. She looked in her bag and pulled out a vial. Blood-Replenishing Potion.

"How did you?" he questioned.

"You know I am always prepared, Professor," she smiled.

She was right, she had always been prepared no matter what. "Do you have enough, to heal me?" Severus asked.

"I hope so," she paused, "but it will still take a couple weeks for you to heal. Here," she said as she opened the vial. Severus opened his mouth and she dumped the drink down his throat. Severus licked his lips as he stared at his insufferable know-it-all student. That he was madly in love with. Yes, madly in love with. "Grab my arm," she said as she stuck her arm out. Severus grabbed her arm and they disapparated. Hermione didn't mind disapperating anymore since she had gotten into the habit while they were chasing Holocrux's.

They landed in Severus' private chambers. He couldn't believe that she remembered that he could apperate and disapperate from his room. It had been months since they had seen each other and he felt as though she would forget about him. "You should get back to your friends," Severus said as he plopped down on the couch. He coughed as he held his neck. "I feel as though I could almost be headless Nick," he smirked at Hermione.

She folded her arms as she stared at Severus. "What do you have to say to me, Severus?" His stomach felt butterflies still to this day when Hermione called him by his first name.

"I love you, Hermione Jean Granger," he smiled at her. It felt like forever since she had gotten a smile from him.

—-

This story is mainly on A03