The Dying Light

Noel watched the rain drizzle down his mam's living room. Christmas had been weird. His kids had been with their mums then at his and going back and forth and Liam had been at his mam's so he didn't go see her and he just felt exhausted. It was all so complicated besides what he had with Scarlet. And he hadn't seen her. He missed her.

He'd finally made his way to his mum's after New Year. Frank had taken him and he seemed oddly frosty with him. He had an idea that perhaps he knew about Scarlet and that he didn't entirely approve. He didn't blame him.

His phone buzzed. He smiled. Scarlet posing with a glass of red wine and tinsel in her hair. "Decorations coming down. Sad. You'll be dancing with joy. I miss you... x"

It was crazy how much he missed her. It had hit him like a freight train. This thing with her was "casual" by name and circumstance only.

"You seem down love." Said Peggy with a concerned frown.

He shook his head.

"I'm fine mam."

Peggy smiled.

"Love sick then? It's one or the other. And I'd have preferred if it was the first as bad as that is to say." She said giving him a pointed look.

Noel sighed and flushed under her intense gaze. She always got to the truth so there was no point lying.

"There's a woman. I like her. She likes me. We make each other happy."

Peggy nodded.

"Good."

Noel frowned.

"You're not mad?"

Peggy shook her head.

"Livid. But at least I know the girl in question is sensible and cares for you. I did tell you to be careful there."

Noel nodded. He exhaled, relieved that the truth was out.

"I know. I am being. We both are. It just feels...right. Even with everything going on. Sara wants to go public..."

Peggy nodded.

"Good. It's time. Then you need to decide what you're doing with Scarlet now she doesn't need to be a secret any more."

Noel frowned.

"How you mean?"

Peggy sighed.

"Well, what is this? Sex? A relationship?"

Noel cringed.

"Mam...can we not talk about this?"

Peggy gave Noel a stern look.

"I just worry that's all. If it's just sex fine. If it's a relationship fine. But you need to both know what you're doing here. You're not kids either of ye."

Noel hesitated.

"It's not sex. It's not just sex I mean. I like her. I miss her."

Peggy nodded.

"Does she know this?"

Noel nodded.

"Yeah. I mean I think so."

Peggy rolled her eyes.

"Well she needs to know so. Bloody hell!"

Noel bit his lip as he deliberated.

"She's nearby. She's visiting her parents."

"Go. What ye waiting for an invite?"

Noel nodded. He kissed his mam on the cheek and she rubbed his back.