ii.

SHE STOOD OUT. She looked more mature and wiser than other kids in her year. I'm not one to believe in nonsense but this girl truly had an aura surrounding her. She did not seem extraordinarily nice or mean in that matter. If I'm analyzing her based on first impressions, she seemed bland. She didn't stand her ground, but she also did not shy away at inconveniences. She was pretty and seemed as if she took care of herself but not so that you could tell much about her from her style of clothing. Reserved, yet not shy. Watching her, for me, was like seeing a perfectly tied knot. Seemingly untieable but with a pair of scissors, it let loose like any other. I was interested to see her unbound.

I decided not to put much effort into reading her thoughts further as I have concluded that if she had sat somewhere else, she wouldn't have caught my attention.

It was amusing that she didn't notice I had used her middle name without her enclosing that information on me. She certainly was not the brightest witch, but she had long way to go.

Deciding that I would be keeping an eye on her, I moved my attention to greater things.

Last year, I made a mistake. The thought was imprinted in my mind every time I needed motivation to be precise as a needle. No, no one is to be trusted.

̶M̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶.̶ ̶M̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶.̶ ̶M̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶.̶

People made mistakes. Only my goal was not to be a person, I didn't want to be people. I wanted to be more, I never wanted to belong or be associated with a human norm. People made mistakes because people were stupid. They did not think things through, they didn't-

There was no room for mistakes in my life. My life was flawlessly and maliciously planning every step of the way. My associates, and I seriously needed to find a new name for them, were merely there to make it easier. I was the king, and they were only my pawns, the sole point of their pitiful life was protecting me. Serving me.

It is a great honor, and they should be forever grateful. I was on my way to becoming something that they could not comprehend. I was going to be Great.

But I was not stupid, I understood that people viewed me as a child. Even worse, an orphan. The pitiful stares were sickening, but I managed to use them to my advantage.

I often hear people describing Hogwarts as their second home. Well, I had no other. But Hogwarts didn't feel like a sacred sanctuary, no, it was just a place to get by until I finished with school. It has proven itself to be useful, that much is true.

In my first year here, I learned a lot. I learned to use my weaknesses, to manipulate people, not with magic, but with my words and actions. I managed to fool everybody.

Well, everybody, except Dumbledore. I was sure he could see through my thoughts from the day he visited me at the orphanage. He learned of my misdeeds there and never seemed to trust me. It was infuriating, but nonetheless I was going to get by without that old prick's support.

"Tom! Tom! Hey, wait up!"

Great, just what I needed.

"Malfoy, hello, what is the matter." I replied as calmly as I could. Who gave him the right to use my first name?

"I just... Well, Avery and Daphne told me I should say hi to you and introduce myself, like officially I mean. You know, we met on the train but that wasn't-" does this kid ever stop talking.

"I see." I saw Lestrange and Nott getting murdered.

"I am... I'm so sorry to intrude, I will be go- I'll just go now."

"Nonsense, the sorting ceremony is about to begin, let's go meet with Avery in the hall." I was a bit interested to see where Daisy will be placed.

As we walked into the lunch hall my eyes met with Avery and Daphne and theirs filled with panic. I was not about to make a scene, but they were going to pay later. I had no problem with them messing with the first years, but they knew better than to involve me in their childish games.

We sat and ate, awaiting the ceremony. I was not one to devour my food. I am not saying I do not enjoy it, but I am controlled with food as I am with everything else. Careful of my body, not because it mattered to me what I looked like, but because it mattered to others.

As the sorting ceremony went on, and the pathetic excuses for new students scattered among the houses, I realized this was going to be a powerful year for Slytherin as we have gotten a ton of new members.

"Loveridge, Celestia" were the words that really piqued my interest. The small girl made her way to the stage, of sorts, and sat down. The Sorting Hat seemed to be arguing with her. 

"There sure is a lot of potential this year, is there?" one of the third year said, suggestively as the others laughed.

He wasn't wrong though.

After what felt like ten minutes the Hat yelled out: "Slytherin!"

Interesting, indeed.

She made her way over to the table and sat with the other first years, introducing herself. She had a smile on her face, as if she had won a battle. Her eyes were carefully watching everybody that talked around her until they suddenly met with mine. Her eyebrows scrunched up together and she looked so... Confused? Or was it scared? Either way, she was interested as was I.

"Somebody already caught your eye, Riddle?" Daphne's words suddenly brought me back to reality. She was jealous, of course.

"In a way." I replied, not providing her with much insight on my thoughts.

"Wait, what? Someone's caught Riddle's eye? Is it Catherine? She surely changed over the summer. Or wait, no, it must be Leyla, the know it all. Or-" Avery went on.

"Shut up. No one's caught my eye in that way, do not worry. Just, there are a lot of interesting new faces this year."

"Damn, never thought you were the type to go for younger, but it does make sense..."

I learned to ignore everything that Lestrange said because that boy never shut up. We all got back to eating.

This was going to be an interesting year... 

a/n

New update! Sorry that it wasn't ready on Saturday, but better late than never.

Happy reading! Please comment and vote! I love to hear your feedback :).