Chapter 6

-Didn't know you had a thing for my lips-

---

Forget I hated waking up in the morning. I loathed waking up with furious knocks on my door I successfully ignored them until someone busted inside my room and brought me back to reality with my heart racing a marathon for two reasons.

First, whoever entered my space without my permission didn't do it very quietly; second, I fell asleep studying every piece of information I had with an almost dead man on my bed.

Only... when I opened my eyes I realized I wasn't in my chair anymore. I was in my bed, no Devil next to me and there was no sign of the investigation that went on all night.

I blinked and my brother, Kenneth, came into focus.

"What the fuck, Sky?" he asked angrily, throwing his hands next to his body.

My ears hurt, but I kept that for myself. If I told him that, chances were he'd throw me out of the window, just like I wanted to do with Devil.

I frowned and massaged the space between my brows, the lack of sleep coming right to my temples. "What?"

"Do I have to kick your door off next time or are you going to reply?"

"I was sleeping," I told him and got up on my butt, my eyes jumping to the drops of blood on my sheets. Slowly, I dragged my blanket over them. "How was I supposed to reply?"

He sighed. "Come downstairs, you need to eat."

Yesterday I was so preoccupied with Elaine leaving that eating didn't seem a priority. Now that she's really gone and it was my brother waking me up instead of her, eating seemed like betraying her. As weird as it was, it was our thing. That's how we functionated as sisters. She knew what I needed in the mornings better than anyone ever would.

"Not hungry," I said and got out of bed, aiming for my closet so I could change before going to my training session.

Kenneth followed me and leaned on one of my bookshelves, eyeing me curiously. I decided to let him say whatever he had to say when he was ready, but he only kept watching me like he couldn't figure me out and I kept acting like I didn't know what to put on. I always knew how to dress, especially because I never dressed differently to training. As long as I had boots, comfortable pants, and a tight blouse, I was ready to go.

"What?" I asked when I finally picked out some clothes.

"Why are you dressed the same as yesterday?"

I looked down at myself as if I needed confirmation he was telling the truth. There was no excuse I could come up with.

"Get out, I want to change."

He shook his head, but complied.

What my brother thought about that day's interaction didn't really worry me. What worried me was what I found out a few hours ago. It didn't make sense, but Devil could be right. They made peace with who? I read everything and my Dad didn't mention any other battles apart from the one with demons, so there couldn't be another answer besides the obvious one: there might've been a big chance Dad made peace with demons and that they never died.