For A Thousand Years

Note: Ignore the mistakes. Any pictures used in the fiction are not mine. Credit to their respective owners. This work is entirely mine and any resemblance to any other work is pure coincidence. Kindly do not copy the work. Happy reading.

Jeongguk kneeled on the floor and bowed his head as he offered the tray of moonflowers to the deity. He was going through his daily routine of visiting the centuries-old moon goddess shrine in the heart of the forest. Jeongguk had been an ardent devotee of the goddess since he was a toddler. Little Jeongguk was always at the front, listening to his grandma with huge doe eyes full of fascination whenever she told tales about the goddess's bravery and compassion to the pack children. His devotion became deeper as he grew older. Even now, at the age of 32, being the head alpha of the Mystique pack, Jeongguk still visits the shrine every day, presenting different kinds of offerings as a way to show his gratitude to the goddess for protecting him and his pack and for giving them every little prosperity in their lives. 

The Mystique pack had always been under the blessing of the moon goddess, or the land of the moon, as the other packs would describe it. From huge mountains to green valleys, from fertile soil to abundant sources of water, from summer to winter, their land had everything, almost as if the Moon goddess had a special spot for their land. Jeongguk felt grateful for being born here and for having a thriving pack with wonderful pack members. He had everything in his life except for his fated mate. 

He has been waiting for his true mate since the age of 18. He has witnessed each and every one of his friends and family members finding their destined one and starting a beautiful family with them. He wanted that too. It has been 14 years now, but he has not given up. His loved ones advised him to move on and find a suitable mate for himself among the omegas available. But Jeongguk was adamant about his decision. If he would mate anyone, then that would only be his true mate. He trusts the moon goddess with his life. Till now, he has always felt an invisible shield of the goddess around him. He is sure that the goddess will definitely bless him with the best mate out there. Maybe he was just being tested about his devotion. He'll prove to the goddess that nothing can sway him. He is one hundred percent devoted to the goddess and his mate.

Jeongguk opens his eyes as he finishes his chant and bows once again, standing up. Today was a relatively free day for him. So he thought that maybe he should take a stroll through the pack grounds. Nodding to himself, he fixes his robe as he sets out towards the pack. The street was as alive as ever. He saw the people flocking through the array of shops, giggling pups running around the central garden, a few couples here and there exchanging lovey-dovey gestures, a bunch of omegas whispering and gossiping and laughing out loudly, and alphas training in the pack grounds. He stops when he sees an alpha, tucking a hairpin in his omega's hair. The omega blushes oh so sweetly, turning back to look at her alpha shyly. Jeongguk feels a strange kind of ache in his heart. He tries to be strong and patient for his mate, but at times he just longs for this. He wanted to love his mate like that too; he wanted to buy things for his mate; he wanted his mate to blush as they met their gazes; he wanted to hold his mate's hand; they'd take a stroll like this; he wanted to have a lot of pups too. He doesn't know what the moon goddess has in mind for him, but he just hopes the deity will be kind enough to save him from this longing.

"Alphaa..." a small soft voice jolts him out of his reverie, and he turns to find Junghyun, his friend Yoongi's 5-year-old pup, running towards him. He catches him with a wide smile, lifting the giggling pup in his arms. 

"Oh my, look who's here, my favourite pup Hyunie," Jeongguk coos, nuzzling the little omega's chubby cheeks. The pup giggles more, wrapping his hands around the alpha's neck for support. "Hyunie missed Alpha," he says, his big, round eyes twinkling with innocence.