Atlanta Survivor Camp

There aren't many of us. But it was enough to make us feel safe, even if it was just false hope. We spent most of the time just talking and we would spend nights sitting around a low, mostly embers, campfire. Us kids play tag and hide and seek whenever we can, there are 5 of us. Eliza and Louis are Morales and Miranda's kids. Sofia is Ed and Carol's daughter and Carl is Lori's son. Me and Carl have known eachother since forever since our dad's were best friends, before Rick died. Carl missed his dad a lot. He didnt die from being eaten he died in a coma after being shot, my dad said.

The Grime's were me and dad's only family. I never knew my mom because she left after I was born. And dad didnt have anyone other than Rick, I never met my grandparents and I learned never to ask about them. Lori had been the closest thing I ever knew as a mother. Me and Carl grew up like brother and sister, and Lori always cared for me as if I was her own whenever I was over. I was over a lot with them since dad and Rick were cops so they were busy a lot.

"Y/N" I heard my dad call. "Come here"
"What do you need dad?"
"Sit down, it's getting dark. You need to be getting ready to sleep soon" He said as he sat by the low fire he had started. I sat down in front of him and he started to brush my hair to braid it so it was out if my face. I always loved braids, partly because they are cute but mostly because it's the only way my dad knows how to style my hair. Whenever dad did my hair I would feel so safe. I never knew why but it was my favorite part of every day. He would wake me up for school and we would both get ready but before we left he would always braid my hair. It was our routine, and I loved it. My hair was light blonde, dad said it was just like mom's. I also had blue eyes and my dad had brown. I hated how much I looked like her, she had left us and I hated her for it.

When I got up the next morning Carl had already been up and greeted me with a smile.
"Hey Y/N! Wanna go down to the water?" He asked in excitement.
"We aren't supposed to go anywhere without an adult." I paused thinking about the lecture my dad had given me the last time I went to far from the camp alone.
"Carol is down there washing clothes."
Right as we were about to go down towards the water we heard the radio go off, so did everyone else. We couldn't believe it, we weren't the only survivors. We aren't alone anymore. There are more people out there, I had hope again. Hope in not being the only ones left. But just as quickly as that hope came, it was gone once more. We had lost signal and couldn't communicate with whoever it had been.

A little while later some of our group left. Glenn, Andrea, and a few others. It took them hours, it felt like forever until they got back. Everyone had been so worried so when we heard the car sirens and seen a red car pull up with Glenn in it everyone felt a moment of relief. Then the truck that was behind him pulled in. Everyone got out and when they were asked how they got out they said 'new guy'.

"Hey helicopter boy." Morales said. "Get out here"
That's when he walked out. The one person no one was expecting: Rick Grimes.
"DAD" Carl screamed as he ran to Rick. They hugged and Rick fell to the ground holding his son. Then Lori came up to them and they all just held eachother. My dad was standing behind me, looking upset. No. Not upset, he wouldn't be upset. Not about this. He was confused. We all were. He told us rick had died back at the hospital, but he was here. Alive. And not like the dead ones 'Alive' no he was alive.

That night we all sat around the fire. Lori and Carl leaning on Rick. Everything was almost perfect until Ed threw another piece of wood into the fire. Dad got up and walked over to him. Told him to take the would out, so the fire stayed low and wouldn't attract too many walkers. Ed tried to say it was fine and it was cold so it needed to stay in but eventually he just told Carol, his wife, to take out the extra wood and so she did. Then it was over, and not long after everyone went to bed.

The next day me, my dad, and Carl had gone down by the water. Carl and dad were trying to catch frogs. Carol and some of the other women were doing the groups laundry. And I was somewhere in between, trying to see if I could see any fish. Far enough away from the boys splashing ath the girls cleaning that the stream was gentle and slow around me. I stood in the water with my jeans soaked from the knee's down. It was peaceful at the water, there weren't any walkers, and if there were we couldnt see them. We had only been there for about 20 minutes before Lori came and had Carl go back to camp. Said she didnt want him were Dale couldn't see him. Dad was upset and tried to talk to her but she just brushed him off and left. I didn't know why they weren't getting along but I also didn't have an interest in knowing. Dad told me we should go back to camp too and as we started walking that way, we heard screaming. It was the Carol and Andrea. Andrea was yelling at Ed and Carol was begging her to let it go. Then Ed hit Carol. That's when my dad dropped everything and ran towards them. I followed behind him and when he got there he dropped Ed off the girls and threw home to the ground. Beating him. I was frozen in place. I'd never seen my dad act like that. Carol was screaming trying to get dad to stop saying he was going to kill Ed. When he finally stopped he leaned closer to Ed's beaten and bloody face.
"You lay a hand on your wife. Your little girl, or anyone one else in this camp and I wont stop next time. You hear me Ed? I'LL BEAT YOU TO DEATH ED YOU GOT THAT?" Ed nodded his head and my dad got up off him. He turned towards me and grabbed my arm and started leading me back to camp. When I looked back Carol was knelt down crying and apologizing to Ed. I didn't say a word to my dad. I had never seen him get this mad but I knew that I should keep quiet. So I did.

Laying down that night, next to my sleeping father, my head wouldnt stop spinning. The world had ended and the dead had taken over. And the living, we were spending our days terrified for our lives and mourning those who had died but never got to be put to rest. The dead didn't get their good byes. They were simply dead. Dead but alive, only when they came back they weren't them. Our group was alive purely because of luck. And I knew we wouldnt be here forever. I just didnt know that it would be so soon before we lost more people. But everyone dies. And we have to accept that, and move on if we want to live. Because if we don't, then we die too.