Forever In Our Memory

It was dark, and everyone was sitting around the fire, everyone who was here at least. Rick had taken Glenn, T-dog and Daryl to get Merle, Daryl's brother, and the bag of guns he said he dropped.
"where are you going?" Andrea asks her sister.
"I have to pee." Amy said. "Geez. You try to be discreet around here"
Andrea let out a soft laugh and Amy walked to the RV. Everyone was just enjoying the warmth from the fire when Amy reopened the door to the RV.
"We're out of toilet paper!" She said loudly so we could hear. Then she started to scream. Everyone turned confused, worried, and scared not knowing why she had screamed or what had happened. She had been bitten. A walker had come from behind the open door and bit her arm. Andrea yelled her sister's name and started running that way. My dad got up aswell and Lori grabbed Carl and held him close, so did Carol with Sofia. The camp quickly went from safe to being full of them. They were everywhere and we were all panicking. I didnt know what to do and before I could think of something one grabbed me from behind. I screamed and kicked and right before it could bite me I slipped free. My dad pulled me behind him and Lori, Carl, Sofia, and Carol were all behind him too. Counting on him to keep the walkers from getting all of us.

We all made our way to the direction of the RV. Everywhere we looked there was a walker. Sofia had started crying and her mother had picked her up to protect her. All I could do was hold onto my dad. Lori told me to back up from him and stay as close to her and Carl as I could so he could kill the walkers that were coming toward us. She covered me and Carl's eyes so we couldnt see them and she held us as tight as she could. Everyone was afraid none of us would make it. But just then we heard gunshots from behind the trees. It was Rick and the rest of them. I let go of Lori and ran for my dad grabbing onto his arm. Rick went straight to Carl.

I sat on the ground with walkers laying all around the camp, blood on my shirt and face. It was over. They had killed all the walkers, but not soon enough. Some of our people were already dead. The bloody rock I was holding had gotten heavy. The walker, who had attacked me about 2 hours ago after it had pulled me from my dad, lay on the ground next to me with its head bashed in. I had never killed anything before. I mean why would I have, I was 12. I hadnt moved from that spot that I fell to after killing it. I couldn't cry, not that I didnt want too I just couldn't.

"Are you okay?" My dad asked as he knelt down next to me, taking the rock out of my hand.
"Is it over?" I asked in a soft, shaky voice.
"For now." He said looking at me with concern on his face. Then he put his arm around me and hugged me tight. I just closed my eyes hugging him back as the tears that had been waiting to come out finally fell down my face.

After our people were buried and the walkers were burned everyone started getting ready to leave. Jim had been bitten during the attack and Rick said we should take him to the CDC and try to get him help, so that's what we were doing. Morales and his wife had decided to go look for some of their family and so them and their kids wouldnt be joining us to the CDC. Eliza gave Sofia her doll and the two hugged to say goodbye. Then we all got in our cars and started driving.

On the ride I had dad tell me stories of when he was a kid, the stuff he would do and trouble he would get into. He used to tell them all the time when we couldnt think of things to talk about only this time it seemed to make him miss the old world more than he already did. Eventually I ended up falling asleep leaned up against his arm.

I woke up when we had stopped. I didnt know why but got out with my dad anyway. After they cleared everything up and we were ready to leave Jim told Rick to leave him. Everybody tried to talk Jim out of it and tell him how we would get him to the CDC and get him help, but he just said the ride was killing him. It took everyone a bit before they carried him out of the RV and sat him up against a tree. We said goodbye and Jacqui gave him a kiss on the cheek. Rick tried to give him a gun but he said no. And then we all got ready to go again only this time with one less of our people.

Once we made it to the CDC there had been bodies all around both from walkers and regular people who never turned. The door was closed and it was getting dark. Rick banged on the door trying to get it to open and after a bit everyone tried to say we need to leave and go somewhere else since they thought no one was there. But Rick wasnt giving up. He said he saw the camera move and started talking to whoever was inside begging them to help. Right as he started to walk back for us to leave the doors opened. The brightness was blinding compared to how dark it was outside. We all walked in and the door closed behind us. The guy who let us in was Dr. Jenner. After he made sure none of us were bitten or scratched he took our blood. Said since he was already breaking many protocols he at least wanted to be thorough.

After Jenner cleared us all we sat down and had dinner. Lori let Carl try some wine and he hated it, then everyone raised a glass to thank our host and while Daryl started a chain of 'booyah' my dad asked a question that he should have asked later.

"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here doc?" He said looking to Jenner. "All the uh, the other doctors. Aren't you supposed to be figuring out what happened? Where are they."
"We're celebrating Shane." Rick responded quickly. "Don't need to do this now."
"Wait a second, this is why we're here right? This was your move. Supposed to find all the answers instead we have found him." He points to Dr. Jenner and laughs a little. "Found one man. Why?"
Dr. Jenner then just explained how everyone either left at the beginning to be with family's or bolted some time in the middle or 'opted out' as he put it. Andrea asked why he didn't leave and he claimed it was because he kept working hoping to do something good.
"Dude you are such a buzzkill, man." Glenn says as he walks around the table.

After a few moments of silence Jenner showed us around everywhere. When he mentioned they had hot water everyone got excited. After I had showered my dad brushed through my hair and then told me to lay down even though I tried to convince him to let me hang out with Carl and Sofia before bed. I did as I was told and fell asleep quickly, I was still warm from the shower and my wet hair had rested on the clean pillow soaking into the pillowcase. Dad sat with me until i fell asleep like he always did. It was nice here. It was clean and comfortable and most importantly, it was safe. For the first time since the outbreak I had slept good.