14

The night breeze blows on my back when I step out of the car. My gaze wanders, taking in the sights of the urban landscape with a grand house that stands out from the rest. Its imposing presence and the air of secrecy that surrounds it instantly captivate my attention.

The house exudes an aura of power, an unmistakable mark of authority. Its elegant architecture, adorned with intricate details and towering pillars, commands respect. I notice a procession of people, dressed in a mix of suits, dresses, and even casual wear, making their way towards the front gates. But they are halted in their tracks by stern-faced men in black clothing holding on to guns as they decide which guest enters or not.

I feel a slight shiver run down my spine just looking at them. I don't know if we are going to make it past them without one of them noticing Gael. Speaking of Gael, he's still inside the car talking to a phone.

"We just made it through the doors. You get into position. I'll call you once I'm in."

Gael gazes at me. "What are you looking at beautiful?"

"Save the compliments for later."

He comes out from the car and stands beside me. He takes my hand and we make our way to the front gates. Gaels grips tightens and the heat from his hands make me ignore the cool air causing goosebumps all over my body.

I walk alongside Gael, my heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation. The gates of the mysterious house loom before us, guarded by the stern-faced gang member who demands identification.

"Remember, to relax," he says.

I take a deep breath, willing my body to calm itself, to exude an air of confidence despite the fluttering of uncertainty within.As we approach the gate, the gang member fixes his gaze upon us, his eyes scrutinizing our every move.

"ID?"

Gael fumbles with his pockets, retrieving the requested IDs. Time feels suspended as the guard examines the identification cards, his expression inscrutable. The guard looks at our fake IDs once, and then looks at it again. He then looks at us and I start to get nervous. The man stares for a moment then he sighs, nodding his head to the side. "Clear," he speaks into his communication device strapped to his ear.

We pass through the gates and I release the breath I didn't realize I was holding, the tension dissipating as quickly as it had arrived. "That was close," I whisper to Gael, my voice barely audible. He, however, appears to be in mission mode, his focus unwavering.

"Indeed," he responds, his tone low.

I step through the grand entrance of the mansion, my eyes widening in awe as I take in the breathtaking beauty that surrounds me. The opulence of the interior leaves me momentarily speechless. Intricately designed chandeliers hang from the ceiling, casting a warm, golden glow upon the elegantly adorned rooms. Guests dressed in their finest attire mingle and converse, creating a lively buzz that fills the air.

As I navigate through the crowd, a waiter approaches us with a tray of golden wine glasses. Gael and I each take one, the delicate crystal reflecting the enchanting ambiance of the room. I take a sip, the rich flavors dancing upon my tongue, as I observe the guests around me. They exude an air of confidence and sophistication, seamlessly blending into this world of luxury and privilege.

Lost in my thoughts, I suddenly feel a gentle grip on my hand. I look up to find Gael's reassuring gaze fixed upon me. His voice, a mere whisper, reaches my ears.

"Try to relax," he advises, his voice a soothing balm amidst the overwhelming surroundings. "Look like you blend in."

I continue to sip from my glass, my gaze lingers on the individuals passing by. Their expressions reflect a myriad of emotions—joy, intrigue, and perhaps a hint of the masks they wear to conceal their true selves.