Chapter 14

Previously on Chapter 13

My head snap towards him, with my eyes widening. He winks at me, making my cheeks growing warm at what he had said. Was it that obvious? But I can't deny the fact that I had indeed fallen for the h/c haired girl.

-Put Your Trust In Me-

Y/N P.O.V

I ended up by the lake. I hug my knees close to my chest as I stare forward. On top of my arms is the doll my mom gave me. Every time I feel down, I would always hug it as it gives me comfort.

"There you are..." someone said. I turn my head to see it's Tanjiro. I just turn my head away from him. "I have been searching everywhere for you, Y/N-San..." he said. He walks over to me and take a seat next to me.

"Why?" I asked. He turn his head to look at me with a confused expression. I turn my head to look forward. "Why were you searching for me? Don't you agree with what Shinazugawa-San said about me?" I asked, in a hushed voice.

"No, Y/N-San. I don't agree with what he said. I believe in you that you're a good person" he said. I turn my head to look at him. I sense no lie in his voice. My eyes soften as I look down. "My little sister is a demon too. But I still love her as she is..." he said.

"Your sister and I are different, Tanjiro..." I said. I turn my head to look at him. "Your sister was turned into a demon. But I... was born as a half-demon" I said. His eyes widened at what I said. I let out a sigh and turn my head to look forward.

"When my mother was younger... she was rap*d by a demon and she got pregnant with me. She knew what would I become if she had kept me. She knew what others would think of her. But even so, she never gave up on me. She believed that I deserve to see the world like any other kid. So she kept me and here I am, born as a half-demon" I said. I bit my lips as I try to control my emotions.

"Growing up was never easy for me. Every turns I made, every steps I took... there will always be people who hate me for being alive. They kept tormenting me and my mom. They called my mom a witch for raising a demon child like me. I could tell that it hurt her greatly. But she stayed strong for my sake..." I said. Tears starts swelling at up in my eyes. But I forced them in.

"Until one day we've had enough with their treatments. We moved far away from that country... and lived on the country side. We were poor... and we had nothing. It was truly hard to live. Everyday we would worry whether we'd live to see the next day. Even so, we didn't care at all, because what's important to us was that we had each other. But in the end... I lost her" I said.

I finally let the tears fall from my eyes. I feel a hand on the side of my head. I turn my head to see Tanjiro as he gently pulls me closer. I place my head on his shoulder as I start to cry softly. 

After a while, I finally calmed down. I pull my head away from Tanjiro. Tanjiro turn his gaze slightly and focuses on something on me.

"Oh, I didn't notice you have a doll..." he said. I turn my head to look at the doll on my lap. I quickly hide the doll inside my haori. Tanjiro looks confused by my action. I turn my head away from him.

"You want to make fun of me too?" I asked. His eyes widened at what I said. He quickly shake his head. I just stare at him.

"I wouldn't, Y/N-San... I'm sure you had a reason to still hold onto that doll..." he said. I blink my eyes at what he said. I smile softly at take the doll back out. I hold it as I stare at it.

"My mother made it for me

"My mother made it for me..." I said. I smile sadly as I think about her. "From time to time... I would come with her to the mainland to sell some things. Mama was good at sewing, so she'd sell haori's, dresses... and a lot of other things. During our visit on the mainland, I would always witnessed how other kids received gifts from their parents. But I never had any... and my mom knew I was sad even though I never complained..." I said. I hug the plush close to my chest.

"She decided to make this for me... it might not look like much and other richer kids would laugh at me because to them... this doll is lame. But I didn't even care. It's the first gift I had ever received and I was so happy..." I said, smiling at the memory. My smile turned into frown as I remember what happened after. "My mother got sick not so long after. She didn't want me to worry so she tried her best to convince me that she'd get better. But she never did... until eventually, she passed away" I said.

"Before she took her last breath... she asked me to always be kind to others and to never hold grudges even though they're always bad towards me. She wants me to use my strength to protect the ones who are less fortunate. And that's what made me became a Demon Slayer in the first place..." I said. I turn my head to look at the sky. I smile sadly as I watch the clouds drifted by. "I kept this doll close to me... because every time I held this doll, it would feel like my mama is still here with me and I can still feel her warmth" I said. I turn to look at Tanjiro as he smiles softly at me.

"Hey, Y/N-San... listen..." he said. He gently hold my hand. I stare at his hand for a few seconds, before turning to look at him. "I know... how bad you've been treated. I know it must be hard for you. But, not all humans are bad. There are some good ones as well. Like um... me? I don't care if you're a human or a half-demon, because I accept you as who you are, and not for what you are. So, please put your trust in me..." he said.

I just stare at him as he stares into my eyes with so much sincerity. His eyes are pleading for me to trust him. To see that not all humans are bad. I know that Tanjiro isn't a bad person. But, will there be others who'd accept me for who I am? Will it be possible for me to live peacefully?

*to be continued*