15

A/N: hi guys!!! back temporarily because school grabbed me by my ass real hard (i have a parade at the 25th too) so sorry for not updating🥲 and of course, criticism is appreciated 🫶🏻

********

A day went by fast, at least for Atticus that is. He was writing, scribbling and reading all day long, making sure to write the plot of Metanoia down just incase he forgets about it. If he forgot, that wouldn't be a good thing.

Although it was cut short as the train of thoughts flooding his mind was suddenly interrupted by a knock on the door. Everyone had already went out for lunch, so who could it be at this time?

"Atticus, are you inside?" The voice rang from the other side of the door, there was no mistaking it. Cassian was checking up on Atticus. "I've brought you some food, I didn't see you at the table today. I thought you might've been hungry, so yeah." Cassian chuckled before opening the door to see Atticus.

"Ah, thank you. What about you? Did you eat?" Atticus asked as Cassian placed the plate down next to his book. "I already ate. And you should be going out soon, the trip is about to start in an hour. You wouldn't want to miss it, do you?" Cassian chuckled, leaning against the wall next to Atticus. "I suppose that is true. I'll finish this then go down to meet you in the great hall." Atticus said, closing his book and placing it in his bag.

"Sure! See you there then." Cassian smiled before waving goodbye, leaving for the hall. Atticus smiles as he watches the back of his friend fade into the distance. He gets up, grabs his scabbard and set out for the great hall.

********

Everyone was already there when Atticus arrived, Arthfael standing next to Irenaeus, holding onto his sword tight. Kyle and Callisto were talking to each other, as usual. They seemed to have gotten closer to each other, unlike before.

Atticus looks around before spotting a familiar blonde.

Cassian.

He strides up to him and waves. Cassian notices him, smiling and waving back. They were waiting for everyone to be ready before they set off to the unknown in the winter lands.

They had clothes that can protect them from the harsh cold of the north on, well, of course they do. But Atticus didn't really care about anyone, as he only stared at Cassian.

Kesler came out of a room, a weapon on his back covered by cloth.

"Well? Are you students ready?" He chuckled as he glances towards everyone, and especially at Atticus. You could say he was wary of him, Atticus sure knew more than he let on. The students all nodded, looking straight at Kesler and waiting for him to take them to their place of adventure.

"That's amazing! Well then, let's set off, shall we? We've been delaying this by a lot." Kesler walks ahead of everyone, walking out of the room and out into the raging snow storm. The weather didn't seem to be suitable for traveling, but it wasn't like they could take this to another day. They have limited time in this trip, and they'll use it all wisely.

The sounds of boots stepping on deep snow could be heard, even in this harsh time. Callisto was sneezing and shivering all the time due to him always being in hot places. Can't say the same for Arthfael, Atticus, Kesler, Zephyr and Seraph, though. They took the cold to their face like a champ, not even budging as they cleared the path to the woods.

By the time they reached the entrance of the cave, Callisto and Ragnar were a sneezing mess. Nose red and eyes watery from how hard they sneezed.

Steinhardt gave Ragnar and Callisto handkerchiefs to wipe their noses, he was trying his best not to laugh. Atticus made sure Cassian was alright before asking Kesler about the place.

"What is this place?" He asks as he stared into the deep, dark cave. "A cave. An ancient one at that, I heard there were some.. important things in here. I'm taking you to see everything here." Kesler chuckles. His eyes glancing back and forth between the entrance and the students.

"Well then, why don't you guys go in, hm? I'm sure it'll be a nice experience! I'll be waiting out here." Kesler smiles as he points to Atticus and Arthfael, "You two, make a group. Atticus is group A, Arthfael is group B. There's two paths in the cave, choose which one yourself." He giggled.

The students just looked at him like he grew a second head before sighing. "Why don't you go with us?" Asked Kyle. Kesler snickered before shaking his head. "No no, you kids go explore. It'd be nicer if you see what's inside on your own."

It wasn't exactly reassuring on how Kesler said it, but they were not going to give up this field trip that they had been waiting for. Everyone just nodded before slowly going inside one by one.

Kesler spoke up before the last one of the students went in.

"Remember, do not look at the book for too long. You don't know what it'll do to you."

Atticus was the last one going in, so he heard everything. Book? It was very vague. Which book was he talking about? Atticus shook the feeling of unease away before stepping inside, making sure to stick to his group.

The cave is dark, the only light source being from the small cracks from above and their torches. They walked through the rocky surface, then they met a place inside the cave. A big, spacious room with a massive hole on top of it, making sunlight shine down from the skies. The room was filled with turquoise, yet murky, waters. Many plants, algae and fishes thrives in this small environment, with only a small stone island in the middle.

There stood a stone statue. One that the students realized who they were, just from one glance.

The greatest mage of all time and the founder of the Ivory Tower, Asherah Walker.

Although the statue was overgrown with vines and broken in some places, it's former glory still remains. This is an evidence that this cave had been here long ago, when Asherah was still alive 700 years ago.

No one knew how it got here, but they paid their respects and continued to stride deeper into the dark cave.

*****

Author's Corner :

Hello! It has been suuuuuper long since I've updated, but I hope you guys had fun reading this chapter. Things have been really busy lately so I don't really have the time for writing new chapters. But do expect one or two chapters a month, if it doesn't get too busy. See you all on the next update, peace.