2. Why is There a Curfew?

Title: Why is There a Curfew?

It was closing time. All the Penley duplicates had checked every corridor for remaining stragglers and found none.

There was complete silence in the Library, only the thrum of energy from the E-Tech Bands on Mr.Penley's and Emmanuel's wrists. The sun had set on the outside and it was 7PM.

"How was it today?" Mr.Penley asked Andrea as he sorted through the completed tasks in the system.

Emmanuel leaned against the desk with an elbow propped up and his face resting in the palm of his hand.

Andrea thought about it, "It was fine."

"Good. Looks like everything was cleared." The projected screen snapped out of the air as Penley dropped his arm, focusing his attention on her, "Same thing tomorrow. I will see you out here with Emmanuel at 1:00. The Library is all yours for tonight." He smiled and walked out from behind the desk, pulling a light gray coat on. He fixed his glasses, "Should you feel tempted to read, just remember to place the book exactly where it came from. Although, I can imagine you're ready to sleep."

Andrea did feel tired. Her energy level had slowly decreased over the hours. She was still running on a few hours of sleep despite the short nap she had taken earlier.

"There's a curfew in the city from 9PM-5AM," Mr.Penley mentioned, "Just make sure to stay inside between those hours."

"Why is there a curfew?" Andrea asked.

"Just precautions. There's been sightings of strange eruptions from the ground. Some sort of fungi," Penley tucked his hands into the pockets of his coat, a sudden seriousness to his gaze, "The Council wants everyone to be cautious of this until they know it's harmless. I haven't seen it myself but, I believe we're all better safe inside than outside, yes?"

Emmanuel placed both hands on the edge of the desk and pushed himself into an upright position, "Whatever it is, Bone Edegurg is going to solve it."

"Bone?" She repeated.

"He's an ArchMagus. One of his specialties is fire and those flames can vanquish almost anything in its path." He swooped his hand across the space in front of him, "I've heard he's already cleaned up a few spots where the fungus has appeared. He's—."

"Your hero?" Andrea said impulsively.

Emmanuel shrugged, digging his hands into his pants pockets with a grin, "You could say that."

"You can talk more about him tomorrow." Mr.Penley assured. He nodded in acknowledgement to her, "We'll see you in the morning."

Mr. Penley and Emmanuel left.

It would always be this quiet from now on, Andrea thought as she laid in bed. She was completely isolated in this basement.

Even though it was one room she laid in, she could feel the presence of an entire empty space just above her. There wouldn't be anyone to go to for company tonight or any night.

Mary-Anne is probably asleep.

Is Mary Anne in pain tonight?

Mary-Anne had developed a lot of aches in her joints the past month. It had been awful hearing her groan at night, knowing there was nothing she could do to make it better.

Andrea felt the ache in her heart.

There was something Andrea could've done but Mary-Anne was not like most humans. She was pure hearted. Andrea was not.