Champions League nights [Arsenal WFC]

FRIDA'S POV

This is all too nerve-wracking. Sitting against the wall of the locker room, I try to calm myself down, unsuccessfully. Even the "calm playlist" I have made before leaving the house doesn't help me stress less. It just makes me more anxious and impatient for all of this to be over, which isn't a good thing.

«Frida? FRIDA?» Katie shouts out loud, making me look up at her.
«Yes?» I ask, taking off my headphones.
«It's time.»

I nod and get up to reach the line in the tunnel. I stare at the girls in front of me and smile at the ones beside me, but I'm still way too scared of what's about to happen. I find smiling quite impossible right now, sign that something is definitely wrong.

«Hey girls, you okay?» Kim asks, before going to the front of the line.

Everyone nods, while I stand still in fear.

«Frida?»
«I'm okay.»

She puts her hand on my shoulder for a brief second, then walks away.

We all walk out in the Emirates with "North London Forever" loudly playing through the speakers, making me smile for the first time since we've changed into our kits.

«Alright girls, do as we have practiced and everything will be fine» Leah reminds us, while Kim is in the middle of the pitch with the referees.
«Let's go!» Katie hypes us up, before we go to our spots.

Every bit of nervousness and anxiety go away as the referee blows the whistle and we start playing. We are more relaxed and pressing less during the first few minutes, still getting into the game's rhythm, but after the first real touches from Bayern we start playing better and better, getting a lot of more chances and pressing way more.

Our flow suddenly stops when Kim is injured and is told to leave the pitch, leaving me more than scared of the 90 minutes ahead.

«Kim, are you okay?» I immediately ask, with terror in my eyes.
«I will be, I promise. Just don't get deconcentrated and keep playing like I know you can, alright?»

I can only nod, while she gives the captain armband to Leah and leaves the pitch.

«She'll be fine» Lia reassures me. «Come on Frida, let's get what's ours.»

We receive a few indications from Leah, then we resume playing.

«Frida!» I hear Leah shout, passing me the ball with the most perfect backheel I've ever seen.

I know what I have to do, so I just take a look at the goal and the keeper, then adjust the ball a little and shoot into the top left corner. I close one eye, scared that it might have gone out of play, but the ball just hits the back of the net, leaving me shocked and the happiest person alive.

«YES!» Katie screams, running to me. «YOU DID IT GIRL!»

After a few seconds of celebrations, we resume playing, and this time we're more than determined to bring it home.

LEAH'S POV

No way we've just won out ticket to the semifinals of the Champions League. We haven't done this in ten years, and now we've finally reached it again, in front of our own supporters in a stadium like this.

«FRIDA, STINA!» I shout at the blonde girls in front of me.

They turn around and I hug both of them, still over the moon for our victory.

«GOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH GALS» I shout.
«Leah, you're yelling.»
«I DON'T FUCKING CARE!»

I skip over at Manu and Lia, that are happily chatting about our win, and hug them as well.

Feeling as I could everything in this world, I just start chanting "North London Forever" with our supporters, jumping up and down with them and the girls.

All the fun and happiness becomes worry when we see Katie coming back on the pitch, with crutches and a boot on her feet.

«What did they tell you?»
«Nothing for now. We'll run tests tomorrow, so we'll have to wait.»
«What about Kim?»
«They're checking up on her right now.»

Frida is now more worried than everyone here on the pitch, so Katie lights up the mood by hugging her and Stina and going back to celebrating.

«We have to play against Manchester City this Sunday» Frida reminds me, whispering. «We need both of them on the pitch.»
«Hey, you don't have to worry about that yet. Let's take all of this in, and then think about the next match tomorrow» I tenderly smile at her. «No sad faces tonight, okay?»

While doing our walk around the stadium, I see Georgia not far from me, so I just run to her and hug her tight.

«Well now you have to win it» she says, still locked up in my hug. «Or else I will never forgive you for knocking us out.»
«We'll see what we can do.»

We say goodbye, as she does her lap with her teammates and I go back to mine, still unable to process what we've just achieved.

KATIE'S POV

«Does it hurt?» Ruesha asks me, when I get back home.

She is fixing me with some ice, while I am sitting on the couch, sipping a glass of water.

«A little.»
«Can't believe you managed to go to the semis» she mocks me. «What about Sunday?»
«I told Jonas that I will be playing if tomorrow's scans come out clear.»
«Fine.»

She sits next to me, checking up on her own injury, that has now healed almost completely, meaning that she will be able to play against Chelsea on Sunday.

«How did we both manage to get injured?» she asks.
«Couples that get injured together stay together.»
«So what, I need to drive us into a car accident to make sure that we'll stay together?» she jokes around, making me roll my eyes. «Just kidding. Do you actually want us to stay together?»
«Yeah, don't you?»
«Might get tired, I don't know» she continues to joke around.

Seeing my serious face, she sits up straight and changed attitude.

«In all seriousness, we've already been together a lot, haven't we? It kinda feels like we've already decided that we're going to stay together.»
«What about making it official?»
«As in asking me to become your wife?»
«Not tomorrow, but someday, yes.»
«Yeah, I'd be down.»

I try to hide my smile, but she notices it and shoves me a little.

«Someday, then» I nod.

09/04/2023
As of right now this will be the last oneshot I publish for a while, at least until I find the time and inspiration to write something new lol.