Chapter 8: Scarlet Strings

Rok Soo stayed inside his guest room during his stay at Harris Village. He decided he would not take the chance to meet Choi Han at all. He inquired casually to the chief about how the village worked and found quickly there was a night guard. Naturally, Rok Soo managed to swindle out information and found that Choi Han was not on guard, meaning Rok Soo could leave just before dawn. He mentioned this off handly to the chief out of courtesy and the man tried to talk him into leaving later but Rok Soo insisted he had work.

Thus, he was soon out of Harris Village and two days later back at Rain City in the afternoon.

Siwan was quick to coddle him and check him down, only letting him go when he said he wanted a shower. Balint was ready for him when he entered his room, pointing silently to the bathroom. After he came out and was dressing, Balint informed, "the lord has requested a lunch with you and Lady Siwan,"

'Of course he did,' Rok Soo sighed in his head, 'These idiotic siblings of mine,'

Balint didn't mention the smile that curled fondly at Rok Soo's lips.

The meal was casual and warm, just like every meal shared between the three of them. Rok Soo listened to banter and teasing, occasionally joining in. The servants that were serving them smiled and let out soft laughs at the sight of their three charges.

The Nyphan Estate did not have an official title, nor was it officially recognized as a noble family. Working for them provided little honor. However every servant and knight and mage would not change it.

"Rok Soo, why did you go to Harris Village all of a sudden?" Siwan asked after a small pause had hovered between the three of them.

"...I was bored,"

"Really?" Siwan raised an eyebrow, "There was no other reason?"

Elis stared at his sister curiously. Rok Soo had a similar stare, but repeated, "No,"

"Hmm...so it wasn't because you were upset?"

"Upset?"

"Yes, Young Master Cale has never been apart from you this long since you two met," Siwan smiled innocently.

"Siwan..." Elis sighed.

Rok Soo stared blankly.

"I am not upset?"

'Why would I be upset? The only thing odd about that punk being gone is the quiet'

Siwan smiled wider, "Of course,"

Elis decided to move the conversation forward, "Speaking of, while you were gone a package came from you,"

"...for me?"

"Yes. The carrier also said that it was something Young Master Cale commissioned and requested be sent over,"

"Oh," Rok Soo was intrigued, "Did they say what was inside?'

"No," Elis shook his head, "However, the carrier did say that you would know exactly what it was,"

Elis reached into his coat and pulled out a small envelope. He handed it over to his brother, "This was given to me to directly give you,"

Rok Soo looked at the ink on the envelope that etched out his name. The handwriting was familiar. There was not a stray spot of ink anywhere else. The penmanship was graceful and exceedingly neat. It was Cale's handwriting.

Rok Soo turned the envelope, taking an unused knife and cutting open the wax seal. He opened the letter as he vaguely listened to the chatter of his siblings next to him. Pulling out the paper, Rok Soo was greeted with more of the perfect and precise penmanship that belonged to Cale Henituse. It was a short message, only a few lines. At the bottom, there wasn't even a full signature. Just the initials "C.H."