21

I slowly open my eyes, greeted by the soft morning light filtering through the curtains. As consciousness gradually returns, I find myself alone in bed. Gael's presence is nowhere to be seen which is expected.

I glance at the door that is left just a bit open. I become aware of a faint aroma in the air—a mix of coffee and lingering traces of alcohol. I lay back in bed but I don't stay long because of how sticky my body feels from last night's escapades.

I wrap the soft bed sheet around my body, relishing in its comforting embrace as I make my way to the bathroom. The morning light filters through the window, casting a warm glow that envelops the room. It's a new day, filled with possibilities and the promise of renewal.

I stand in front of the mirror, observing my reflection. My braids, once neatly styled, now reveal signs of a restless night. My roots have become frizzy which needs to be redone soon.

With a contented sigh, I step into the shower, feeling the soothing warmth of the water envelop my body. Droplets cascade down my skin, washing away the remnants of the night, both physical and metaphorical. I clean myself off from all traces of Gael.

I stand in the soothing embrace of the shower, the warm water cascading over my body, when a sudden draft of cold air sends a shiver down my spine. I turn, my eyes widening as I see Gael standing just outside the foggy glass window, holding two mugs in his hands.

"You're awake," he declares, a mischievous smirk playing on his lips. "I thought you might enjoy some coffee mixed with vodka."

"Just leave it in the room, Gael."

He chuckles, seemingly undeterred by my request. Feeling a small sense of relief that he's finally left, I turn my attention back to the soothing water, attempting to regain a sense of calm. The steam envelops me, a veil of tranquility that shields me from the outside world.

However, my momentary peace is short-lived, as Gael reappears seconds later, stepping into the shower with me. My breath catches in my throat, surprise mingling with a mixture of uncertainty and desire.

I cover my parts with my arms or the foamy soap.

Gael crane his neck to the side. "Why are you hiding? I've seen all of you."

"Well, I just want to take a shower. Alone."

I would think he'd take the liberty to ignore my demands and help himself to my body, but he simply backs off. He ties his towel around his wait.

"When you are done, meet me in the meeting room."

~

"The Thunder Dragons have made their attack. They've shot up one of our men in the eastern part of the city."

"And you told us to stay low." Troy says.

"If we never stayed hidden, they would have caught all of us by now."

"So what are we gonna do? shoot back?" I ask. I sit among the gang, the weight of their stares penetrating my being. I've grown accustomed to the attention. All eyes turn to me, their expressions a mix of curiosity, skepticism, and perhaps even amusement. It's Troy, always quick with a smirk and a condescending tone, who decides to make his presence known.

"Shoot back? Oh, Mintz, that's cute," he taunts, his voice dripping with sarcasm. I refuse to acknowledge him, refusing to let his words affect me. Instead, I turn my attention to Gael.

Gael, always the voice of reason, takes a moment to consider my question. His eyes meet mine, and I sense a flicker of recognition. "We can shoot back, sure," Gael begins, his voice calm yet laced with determination. "But that won't solve anything in the long run. We need to wait for the right moment, then we kill them all."

His words hang in the air, the room filled with tension. Is this the same man from last night? The room erupts into discussions, voices rising and falling as the gang members exchange their thoughts and opinions. I sit there, quietly absorbing their words, waiting till this stupid meeting is over.

The room falls silent as Gael's gun finds its place on the table, the sound of it echoing through the space, a stark reminder of the dangerous world we inhabit. I feel a knot tighten in the pit of my stomach, a mix of anticipation and apprehension swirling within me.

Gael's eyes scan the room, his gaze lingering on each member of the gang, searching for a volunteer to join him on the impending mission. I hold my breath, hoping against hope that someone else will step forward. But as the seconds tick by, it becomes apparent that no one is willing to offer their support.

Just as I resign myself to the idea of being left behind, Gael's voice cuts through the tense silence. "Leilani," he utters, and my heart skips a beat. My eyes widen, meeting his intense gaze. I swallow hard, trying to conceal the mix of fear and uncertainty that surges within me.

I take a steadying breath, forcing myself to respond with a semblance of composure.

"Yeah?" I manage to utter, my voice betraying a hint of nervousness that I can't seem to hide.

"You'll be joining me on this mission," Gael states matter-of-factly, his words hanging in the air like a heavy fog. My heart pounds in my chest, the weight of his decision settling upon me.

"How fun," my words are laced with sarcasm.

"As for the rest of you waste of space, get the hell out of here." Gael dismisses the group, his gaze lingering on me for a moment longer before I rise from my seat and make my way out into the hallway. The cool air outside the meeting room provides a brief respite, but my mind is buzzing with thoughts, my pulse quickened with a mixture of anticipation and unease.

I stride purposefully through the opulent mansion's hallway, my mind focused on the mission that lies ahead. But before I can reach my destination, Troy appears, his presence an unwelcome interruption. He steps out from a corner, blocking my view with an air of self-assurance.

"I usually went out with Gael on missions, but I'm surprised he chose you instead," he remarks, a sly grin spreading across his face.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, refusing to let his attempts at provocation affect me. Instead, I offer a cool, dismissive response. "Feel free to talk to him about it," I retort, my voice laced with an undertone of indifference.

Troy's presence looms before me, his imposing figure obstructing my path. I try to sidestep him, eager to continue on my way, but he blocks my view once again, his intentions clear.

I take a calming breath when he leans to me. "I know you fucking him on the low. That why he treats you like this. But mark my words, sexing him ain't gonna change his mind once he finds out your little plans."

"If you care so much about ruining me then why don't you tell him? Oh, wait, you don't have a roof or anything." I match his glare.

Troy grins wickedly. "With time." He simply says, and then walks off. 

꧁꧂

i hope Troy dies...