29

"Get out maggot." One of the gangs bangs on the door. They eventually open it and drag me out.

I walk through the dirty, dimly lit halls, surrounded by members of the rival gang. The weight of captivity hangs heavy on my shoulders, and with each step, a mix of fear and uncertainty courses through my veins. Today might be my last day alive, and I struggle to grasp the reality of it all.

The hallway leads us outside, into the stony grounds of their stronghold. The morning sun peeks through the clouds, casting a harsh light that causes me to squint. It's a stark contrast to the darkness that has enveloped me for so long.

As I stand there, a captive among those who may seal my fate, a whirlwind of emotions swirls within me. There's fear, yes, but also a strange sense of resignation. I've known for some time that death loomed over my shoulder, a constant companion in this dangerous world.

But alongside the fear and resignation, a flicker of defiance sparks within me. I refuse to let them see my weakness, my vulnerability. I will face whatever comes my way with courage, even if it means standing on this stony ground, with the morning sun as my witness.

The members of the rival gang exchange hushed words, their eyes darting between me and their leader. I can feel their gaze upon me, a silent assessment of my worth, my fate hanging precariously in the balance.

A knot forms in the pit of my stomach as the leader steps forward, his expression inscrutable. His voice cuts through the air, sharp and commanding, as he addresses the group. Every word is laden with significance, further tightening the grip of tension around us.

My thoughts race, contemplating escape, seeking any opportunity to seize my freedom. But surrounded by these hardened individuals, the odds seem insurmountable. I must find strength within myself, even if it means facing the possibility of death head-on.

With each passing moment, the morning sun climbs higher, casting its glow upon the stony ground. I soak in its warmth, a fleeting comfort amidst the uncertainty that engulfs me. I take a deep breath, steadying my nerves, preparing myself for whatever may come next.

As the leader's gaze meets mine, I refuse to avert my eyes. I will not give them the satisfaction of seeing my fear. Instead, I summon a steely resolve, a determination to face the unknown with courage.

"Don't worry. I'll make your death quickly as possible." She laughs.

My attention snaps to a car that drives through the compound, its engine rumbling to a halt. I squint, trying to make out the figure inside. "There he is," Violet says, her voice filled with an eerie delight that sends a shiver down my spine.

The door swings open, and immediately, Gael is surrounded by two gang members who proceed to search his body for weapons. The tension in the air is palpable as they carry out their task with meticulous precision.

Gael, unyielding and unfazed, meets Violet's gaze with a cool, defiant stare. His presence commands attention, and it's clear that he won't be easily intimidated. "I came alone like you asked," he states, his voice steady, holding a hint of skepticism.

Violet's grin widens, an unsettling mix of amusement and malice. "I don't believe it," she snaps, her voice laced with distrust. A ripple of movement spreads through the compound as some of her men exit to conduct a thorough search, determined to ensure Gael's claim of coming alone is valid.

I watch Gael closely as he stands there, his gaze fixed upon Violet. Despite the dire circumstances, there's a hint of audacity in his voice as he addresses her. "So, you're the bitch who's been terrorizing us for the past weeks, huh?"

Violet's face contorts with a mixture of anger and amusement. It's a dangerous game of words and power that unfolds before me, a clash of wills between two fierce adversaries.