31

Everything in the mansion is quiet since the accident. Good, I prefer it that way. The more days that go by, the more I get to return back to my normal life. I pace back and forth in the small room, clutching my phone tightly in my hand. The sound of my parents' voices on the other end brings a mix of relief and worry. It's a precious connection to the outside world, a lifeline in these uncertain times.

"I don't really feel safe in this house anymore," my mom's voice trembles through the line, and my heart aches at her vulnerability. Her words resonate deeply within me, echoing the fear that has consumed us all.

"I know, Mom. Just wait, and I'll be right there to get us out," I reassure her, my voice determined, despite the uncertainty that gnaws at my own resolve. I can't bear the thought of them living in fear, trapped in a place that no longer feels like home.

"Lei, honey. Do we really have the money to move?" My mom's question hangs heavily in the air, filled with doubt and concern. It's a valid concern, one that weighs heavily on my mind. But I refuse to let financial constraints hinder our pursuit of safety.

"No, but I'll figure it out," I respond, determination seeping into my voice. I may not have all the answers or a clear plan, but I won't let money be the obstacle that keeps my family in harm's way. There's always a way forward, even in the darkest of times.

My mom sighs on the other end of the line, her worry palpable. "Okay, please come home soon. Your father is thinking of going there alone to get you," she pleads, her voice tinged with a mix of desperation and concern for my well-being.

I bite my lip, torn between my desire to protect them and the reality of the danger that surrounds us. "I would, Mom, but things are kind of dangerous right now. I don't want him to get caught up in the chaos and do something reckless," I explain, my voice filled with a sense of urgency.

There's a heavy silence on the other end of the line, my mom processing my words. "Just one more day, okay?" I plead, my voice tinged with desperation. It's a request born out of the need to buy more time, to devise a plan that will ensure our safety.

Mom's voice breaks the silence, her tone filled with resignation. "Alright, dear," she says softly, and I can hear the weariness in her voice. It's a reminder of the sacrifices we make to protect the ones we love, the weight we carry when faced with impossible choices.

As I hang up the phone, a mix of determination and guilt courses through my veins. Time is running out, and the responsibility rests on my shoulders to find a way out of this dangerous situation. I take a deep breath and keep calm. Just 24 hours and I'm out of this place for good.

I stand in my room, a sense of urgency propelling me forward as I pack my belongings into a small suitcase I discovered hidden in the back of my closet. The door creaks open, and my heart skips a beat as I meet Gael's gaze. I shoot him a glare, my anger palpable, but remain steadfast in my resolve to keep my distance.

Gael holds onto a thick white envelope, its contents unknown to me. He tosses it casually onto the bed, his tone laced with a hint of bitterness. "What is that?" I question, my voice cold and guarded.

"It should cost everything I took from you—minus the psychological trauma," he responds, his words sharp and biting. The envelope sits there, a symbol of his tainted past and the destruction he wrought upon my life.

I take a moment to steady myself, to rein in the emotions threatening to spill over. Without uttering a single word, I reach for the envelope, my fingers gripping it tightly. But rather than keeping it, I throw it back at him, the anger and defiance fueling my actions.

"I don't need your blood money," I declare, my voice laced with determination. "I won't let your tainted wealth define me or be a reminder of the pain you've caused."