Stars - Kirtxo

*I've published a version of this short story in my ongoing story, Circus of Emotions. If you haven't already, you should check it out!*

Kiri went to her locker to grab some textbooks before the bell rang. As she got closer, she noticed something stuck to the front of her locker. A Lizzy Carnation and a note, given by Rotxo. The note said "8pm, Community garden?" suggesting that he wants to meet her there. Lizzy Carnations are Kiri's favorite flower. A creamy peach color for petals, and a strong green stem.

Later that night, the kids had gotten home from school. Lo'ak and Neteyam were having a conversation about something with Kiri, or at least they thought. Kiri wasn't really paying attention to the conversation. She was zoning out, thinking about what to wear that night. "Kiri" Neteyam nudged her arm. She snapped back to reality. "Hm? Sorry, I was thinking about something." "I hope you know Rotxo is literally down bad for you." Kiri slightly flustered at that statement. "I also hope you know that you're down bad for him too" Neteyam teased her about it. She covered her bright red face. "Stop itttt!" She groaned.

Kiri was looking through her closet after dinner, trying to find something to wear. She pulled out two outfits and ran to Neteyam's room. "Neteyam! I need help!" Neteyam bounced up like his bed was on fire. "Jesus Kiri, you scared me. What do you need?" Kiri held out two different outfits. "Which one?" "For what?" "Something- just pick!" "Well it would help if I knew the occasion!" Neteyam and Kiri went back and forth. "Uhm.. I'm not sure- I'm going to the community garden in an hour?" "Why 8:00 at night?" "Just because..." Neteyam laughed. " 'because' isn't an answer Kiri." She sighed and caved. "I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm meeting Rotxo there."

Neteyam gasped dramatically. "Is it a date?" "Yes? No? I don't know. I just wanna look nice." Neteyam and Kiri worked on the outfit until Kiri left. She walked to the community garden as the sun set. When she arrived, she looked around for Rotxo, but she couldn't find him. Rotxo bursted out from behind a pillar and ran towards Kiri. He scooped her up and threw her over his shoulder. Kiri squealed like a mouse in surprise. "Hey! You scared me!".l Rotxo gently set her down and laughed. "I was hoping you'd come." Rotxo said with a smile. "An invitation from you? I wouldn't miss it."

Rotxo took Kiri's hand and walked to a more open grassy area. "So, what are we doing?" Rotxo led her to a spot where he set up a blanket and a telescope. "The five planets are aligning themselves tonight. I thought you might want to see it with me." "I'd want to see anything with you." Kiri gave a soft smile.

Rotxo and Kiri sat on the blanket talking about some of Kiri's interests, as they waited to see the planets. Rotxo checked the sky. "Woah, Kiri look!"bKiri looked at the sky as well. "Oh my god that's beautiful!" Kiri was in awe. She looked through the telescope to see it better. "Wow, that's amazing."

Rotxo watched her as she looked at the sky, smiling and admiring her as she talked about the planets. "Kiri" "Yes?" Rotxo was hesitant to finish his sentence. "You know, your freckles remind me of the stars." "Wow really?" Rotxo nodded. "The stars, painting the sky. Adding more beauty to something that was originally beautiful." Kiri's cheeks started to get rosey. "I also needed to ask you something..." "Oh, alright! What's up?" Rotxo was silent for a moment. "I think we should start seeing each other.. like- going out? I really don't want this to get cheesy." Rotxo covered his face in embarrassment. Kiri made a face, pretending like she was thinking. She then pounced on Rotxo and kissed him, making them fall over. Rotxo sighed and laughed. "I'm assuming that's a yes."

The two talked for a little longer. "I have an idea! We should tell each other things about us that the other might not know yet. Like favorites, and qualities." Kiri blurted. Rotxo nodded. "Okay, sure." "I'll go first!" Kiri sat up with Rotxo. "You already know about my cat, Yubo. My favorite drink is Jasmine milk tea, I have 3 more new plants since you last came to my house. I've never been suspended, and when I was younger, I used to have a little Barbie phone that I would call Lo'ak on to make him mad. Your turn!" Rotxo laughed. "I bet Lo'ak still hates you for that Barbie phone. Anyways, I guess I'll go. I've lived with my grandma since I can remember. My favorite color is marigold orange. I hate sushi. Sometimes when I'm alone, I'll use my glasses to help me read the small text on my computer or in my textbooks, and I've had glasses since I was 5."

"Aww, I think you would look so cute wearing glasses!" "Ehh.. maybe not" Rotxo pulled out his phone and showed Kiri a picture of him with his glasses at 8 years old. He was standing outside of his house with a buzz cut, his glasses, and a Superman shirt, on the first day of 2nd grade. "C'mon, you were younger! I can picture you with glasses right now, and you look good!" Kiri insisted that Rotxo looked good with the glasses but he begged to differ.

Quite a while had passed. "We should probably get home. It's getting late." "Yeah I guess it is.." Kiri got up with Rotxo and they put the blanket and telescope away. "I'll text you!" Kiri shouted before she left the garden. Rotxo gave a thumbs up and left in the other direction.

Kiri got home and walked inside quietly, trying not to wake anyone that was asleep. "How was it? How's your boyyyfriendd?" Neteyam said from the couch. "My boyfriend is doing quite well, thanks." Neteyam shot off the couch. "What!? Since when??" "Since tonight I guess." "Who asked?" "Rotxo. Will you chill out with these questions? Jeez!" "Sorry sorry! It was bound to happen anyway." Neteyam teased until Kiri walked upstairs to her bedroom.

*Thank you for reading! I apologize for any typos, I hope you understood what I meant.*