76

it's always something

GRADUATION IS AT THREE P.M.
Judging by the sight of the sun slowly starting to shine through the windows, casting shadows at odd angles, Athena had to guess that it was nearing five in the morning.

Athena hadn't moved from Caroline's side all night.

She hadn't heard back from Klaus. Nor Josh, or Alex, or anyone. She refused to accept any sort of outcome where they wouldn't get back on time. Athena's stubbornness had yet to fail them, after all. And it wasn't stubbornness so much as it was her denial, her downright refusal to live in a world that Caroline Forbes did not exist in.

It was incomprehensible to her.

She watches the sun move higher and higher in the sky, bringing day along with it. She holds Caroline's hand in hers, watching when sweat starts to bead up on her chest and face, watching when she starts to whimper in fear, stuck in a constant nightmare, unable to fight back or wake up.

Eventually, it's Damon that comes in, and he barely looks at Caroline. She knows he couldn't fathom the thought of losing her, either, as much as he can't voice it.

"You need to start getting ready," He tells her, eyes soft as he approaches where she sits by the side of the bed.

"I don't want to go," Athena's voice is hoarse from disuse, and she swallows roughly when she realizes how dry her throat is.

"I know," Damon answers her in a whisper, laying a hand on her shoulder and squeezing it reassuringly. "But you have to. She would want you to, no matter what."

Athena is quiet for a moment, watching her best friend's face twist in pain. "The show must go on,"

Damon nods.

Heaving a world-weary sigh, Athena finally lets go of Caroline's hand and stands, turning to face Damon with tired eyes. She stiffens her lips as her face heats, tears building behind her eyes. Taking in a shaky breath, she shakes her head. "I don't want to do it without her,"

Damon's eyes are full of sympathy, and she embraces the comfort he offers her with a simple look. "I know, Athena. But listen to me. You are the strongest person I know, okay? And this is far from the worst thing you've ever faced, you and I both know that. Do you want to know why I'm not worried about her?"

Athena nods.

"Because you always win," He smirks lightly, and she mirrors it, feeling a lightness in her for the first time all night. "So you're going to go to graduation and give the best speech those idiots have ever heard, and then you're going to come home and find a way to save Caroline because it's the only option."