Different Types of Stomach Cancer Treatments

Stomach cancer, also known as gastric cancer, is a serious disease that affects the stomach lining. It is a relatively common form of cancer, with varying types and stages that require different treatment approaches. The treatment options available for stomach cancer have evolved significantly in recent years, offering patients a range of effective strategies to combat the disease. In this article, we will explore the various types of stomach cancer treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, emerging treatment options, and supportive care.

1. Surgery: Cancer surgery is often the primary treatment for stomach cancer, especially in the early stages. The goal is to remove the tumor along with nearby lymph nodes and surrounding tissues. The types of surgical procedures commonly performed for stomach cancer include:

a. Endoscopic Resection: This minimally invasive procedure involves removing small, early-stage tumors from the stomach lining using an endoscope. It is suitable for localized tumors that have not spread deeply into the stomach wall.

b. Subtotal Gastrectomy: In this procedure, a portion of the stomach is removed, including the tumor and nearby lymph nodes. The remaining part of the stomach is then reconnected to the esophagus or small intestine.

c. Total Gastrectomy: This surgery involves the complete removal of the stomach, nearby lymph nodes, and sometimes the spleen. The esophagus is then connected directly to the small intestine to allow food to pass through.

d. Lymphadenectomy: This surgical procedure involves the removal of lymph nodes in the abdomen to check for the spread of cancer cells.

Surgery for stomach cancer can have significant impacts on digestion and nutrition. Patients who undergo gastrectomy may require dietary modifications and support from nutritionists to ensure proper nourishment. In some cases, reconstructive surgery may be necessary to restore the continuity of the digestive system and improve quality of life.

2. Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy involves the use of anti-cancer drugs to kill cancer cells or stop their growth. It can be administered before surgery (neoadjuvant chemotherapy) to shrink tumors and improve surgical outcomes, or after surgery (adjuvant chemotherapy) to kill any remaining cancer cells. Chemotherapy may also be recommended for advanced or metastatic stomach cancer, aiming to control the disease and alleviate symptoms.

Different combinations of chemotherapy drugs can be used, such as a regimen called ECF (epirubicin, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil), or FLOT (fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel). The choice of chemotherapy regimen depends on various factors, including the patient's overall health, the stage of cancer, and potential side effects.

3. Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy utilizes high-energy X-rays or other radiation sources to destroy cancer cells. It is often used in combination with surgery or chemotherapy. Radiation therapy may be delivered externally (external beam radiation) or internally (brachytherapy) by placing radioactive sources near the tumor site.

External beam radiation therapy targets the tumor from outside the body, whereas brachytherapy involves placing radioactive material directly into the tumor or adjacent tissues. Radiation therapy is sometimes used before surgery to shrink tumors and make them more operable, or after surgery to kill any remaining cancer cells. It can also be used in palliative care to alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life.

4. Targeted Therapy: Targeted therapy drugs specifically target certain molecules or genetic mutations involved in cancer growth. In stomach cancer, targeted therapy is primarily used for advanced cases. Trastuzumab (Herceptin) is a targeted therapy drug that targets HER2-positive stomach cancers, while ramucirumab (Cyramza) targets the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR) to inhibit blood vessel formation.

Molecular testing is often performed to identify specific molecular targets in the tumor. This information helps determine if targeted therapies are suitable and may influence treatment decisions. Targeted therapies are often used in combination with chemotherapy or other treatments to enhance their effectiveness.

5. Immunotherapy: Immunotherapy aims to enhance the body's immune system to recognize and attack cancer cells. While still being explored in stomach cancer treatment, immune checkpoint inhibitors such as pembrolizumab (Keytruda) and nivolumab (Opdivo) have shown promising results in advanced stomach cancer cases.

Immune checkpoint inhibitors block proteins that suppress the immune system, allowing immune cells to recognize and attack cancer cells more effectively. Immunotherapy may be used as a second-line treatment option for patients who have advanced or metastatic stomach cancer and have not responded well to other therapies. Clinical trials are also investigating the potential of combining immunotherapy drugs or combining immunotherapy with chemotherapy to improve treatment outcomes.

6. Emerging Treatment Options: Medical research is continually advancing, and several emerging treatment options are being investigated for stomach cancer. These include:

a. HER2-Targeted Therapy Combinations: In addition to trastuzumab, other HER2-targeted drugs, such as pertuzumab, are being studied in combination with chemotherapy for HER2-positive stomach cancers.

b. Immunotherapy Combinations: Clinical trials are exploring the effectiveness of combining different immunotherapy drugs or combining immunotherapy with chemotherapy in advanced stomach cancer.

c. Angiogenesis Inhibitors: Drugs that inhibit blood vessel formation, such as apatinib and bevacizumab, are being studied to determine their efficacy in treating advanced stomach cancer.

d. Personalized Medicine: Advances in genomic sequencing allow for a better understanding of an individual's unique tumor characteristics. This knowledge can help guide treatment decisions and identify targeted therapies tailored to a patient's specific cancer profile.

7. Supportive Care: Supportive care plays a crucial role in managing the side effects of treatments, improving quality of life, and providing psychological support for patients with stomach cancer. Supportive care services may include pain management, nutritional support, counseling, physical therapy, and palliative care.

Palliative care focuses on alleviating symptoms and improving the overall well-being of patients with advanced or metastatic stomach cancer. It aims to enhance comfort, manage pain, address emotional and psychological needs, and provide support to patients and their families.

Conclusion:

The treatment of stomach cancer requires a multidisciplinary approach, considering the stage of the disease, the overall health of the patient, and individual factors. Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, and emerging treatment options offer a range of strategies to combat stomach cancer. Additionally, supportive care plays a critical role in managing symptoms, improving quality of life, and providing emotional support. Advances in medical science and ongoing research continue to provide new and improved treatment options, offering hope for better outcomes and prolonged survival for individuals diagnosed with stomach cancer.

If you or someone you know is facing stomach cancer, it is essential to consult with healthcare professionals to determine the most appropriate treatment plan based on specific circumstances. You can find some of the best healthcare professionals in HCG Cancer Centre Mumbai, which has all the latest technology and equipment available for stomach cancer treatment. To book an appointment at HCG Cancer Centre Mumbai, go to the link given below:

https://www.logintohealth.com/amp/hospital/mumbai/hcg-ics-khubchandani-cancer-centre-colaba-mumbai/appointment