Chapter Thirteen

MIA

MIA

I awake to darkness, and I'm confused when I realise I'm no longer secure in Grayson's embrace.

My eyes flit open and closed a few times, adjusting to the near dark room that's only partly illuminated by the splash of moonlight that seeps in through the slits of the blinds. I sit up and gather my thoughts, remembering how Grayson and I had shared just a single bed together when we fell asleep and how we had finally reunited in each other's arms.

But now he's nowhere to be seen.

     "Grayson?" I carry the duvet with me as I pad to the wall, my hand scouring the surface to find the light switch. Once I do, I flick the light on but only feel my heart drop when I realise that Grayson is nowhere to be seen. "Shit!"

I check my phone; 3:15am. A bunch of thoughts enter my mind, all of which surround the whereabouts of Grayson and why he's gone at such an ungodly hour of the morning. I can't help but worry that something bad has happened.

Just as I mentally plan an emergency intervention, the door clicks open. Grayson strolls in quietly, his lips bending at the edge with a hint of playfulness.

     "Grayson what the hell!" I pull the duvet tighter around me, my heart loosening inside of me. "Where the hell were you?"

Grayson strides over to me, flicking a plastic card between his fingers. He scoops me into his arms and smiles, his aftershave pooling into my nostrils as he makes quick strides to the door.

     "Grayson! What are you doing?" I whisper, my eyes like saucers as Grayson pads over to the elevator, whisking me inside and hitting the button to the top floor. "Seriously what the fuck?"

     "Shh," is all Grayson can say, smiling beautifully yet menacingly as the elevator doors slide open and he walks us out into the cool winds of the night. Before I can question him further, my mouth drops open at the sight of a rooftop swimming pool.

     "Holy shit!"

Grayson places me down—not without planting a strong kiss onto my cheek—and rests his hands on his hips as I allow the duvet to crumble in a ball at my feet, my half naked body only covered by my underwear. "How the fuck did I not know this place had a rooftop pool?"

Grayson smirks as he meets my side. "It's not openly advertised. Apparently it's for members of the Sage hotel corporation."

I quirk an eyebrow. "What?"

Grayson throws his arm about the open space. "The greedy corporate stooges that own this block of apartments and god knows how many others in the world. I mean, you'd think they'd offer it out to the public eh?"