Moon Festival

Ethan

As the Alpha of the pack, I had been looking forward to the Moon Festival, our largest celebration of the season. It was a time of joy and unity among our pack members. However, my plans were interrupted when Lance, one of my trusted pack members, reached out to me through the mind link.

"Alpha, you're going to want to get a look at this for yourself," Lance's voice carried a sense of urgency.

Curiosity and concern filled me as I inquired about the three rogues he and Erin had gone to scope out earlier in the day. We had detected their presence, but with the festivities, we had decided to delay addressing the matter. Rogues had seldom been a significant problem for us, and we usually coexisted peacefully, keeping our distance from each other.

Lance's response left me troubled. "Complete carnage, sir," he said, and even through the mind link, I could sense the seriousness in his voice.

"Carnage? What do you mean?" I asked, my mind racing to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

"We have three dead rogues on our hands, Alpha," Erin confirmed, her words sending a chill down my spine.

This was an unexpected turn of events. While it wasn't unheard of for rogues to be aggressive or pose a threat, killing each other was not typical behavior among their kind. Pack wolves, including ours, adhered to a strict code of conduct, avoiding unnecessary violence whenever possible.

"Did you scent any of our pack members when you arrived?" I asked, trying to assess if there had been any involvement from our side.

"No, Alpha, but there's another scent mixed in,"Erin said, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"I'm on my way," I declared, my mind already racing through the possibilities. The Moon Festival would have to wait; the safety of our pack came first.

Leaving the festivities behind, I made my way to the location where Lance and Erin were. My heart weighed heavy with concern and determination. Whatever had transpired here, it was now my responsibility as the Alpha to ensure justice was served and to protect my pack from any potential threats, even if it meant disrupting our celebration.

As I arrived at the scene, my heart sank at the sight before me. It was a scene of utter devastation—blood staining the ground, lifeless bodies scattered around. My gut twisted with worry; this level of violence even among rogues was unusual, and it troubled me deeply.

The metallic scent of blood hung heavily in the air, mingling with the earthy aromas of the forest. My instincts were on high alert, warning me that something was terribly wrong—this wasn't just a typical rogue encounter. My pack had always prided itself on adhering to a strict code of conduct, avoiding unnecessary violence whenever possible. But what I now faced was pure brutality, and it chilled me to the core.

Kneeling down before the woman, I could see that she was still alive, though just barely. My heart sank at the sight of her fragile form, broken and battered. "Erin, the girl's alive. Have Delta meet us at the pack hospital," I instructed urgently. Maybe there was hope yet that we could get to the bottom of this and save her.

With careful tenderness, I lifted her into my arms, cradling her delicate body. The weight of responsibility pressed upon me, knowing that her life might now depend on the actions we took.

"Lance, Cole's already on his way. The two of you'll need to do a sweep of pack lands and find whoever is responsible," I commanded, my voice firm with determination. As my enforcer, I trusted Lance to handle the situation with deadly precision. Sending Cole along with him was a precautionary measure—we needed all the security we could get when dealing with an unknown threat.

I added with a solemn tone, "And Lance, kill the bastard."

"Yes, Alpha," Lance replied, his expression hardened as he moved away with the grace of a seasoned predator. I knew he would not rest until justice was served.

As I watched him go, my thoughts turned to Cole, my fraternal twin. He and I were equals in every way, and despite his wild and untamed nature, I trusted him with my life and the safety of our pack. He was the chaos to my calm, the unpredictability to my precision, but in times like these, his feral nature would be an asset. He would stop at nothing to protect our pack and bring those responsible to justice.