Chapter 3

Hasan stood in front of the mirror, meticulously adjusting his tie as he prepared for the event. The crisp black suit adorned his tall frame, accentuating the air of professionalism he exuded effortlessly. It has been a whole week of preparation and devotion. His father would be proud of him. He was sure of that. He looked a last time at his dark beard and passed a hand in his hair before putting his shoes on, ready to go.

Beside him, Yaasir engaged him in a lively conversation that Hasan had grown accustomed to over the years.

"Hasan, my dear old friend, you must understand the beauty of love and marriage," Yaasir proclaimed with unwavering enthusiasm, his eyes alight with the hope of finding his own soulmate.

Hasan scoffed lightly, his tone laced with skepticism. "Yaasir, my dear old friend, you've always been the hopeless romantic. I fail to comprehend your fascination with something as unpredictable as love." He responded lacing his shoes with a familiar mocking inflection, as he retook the odd expression. 

Yaasir's smile remained undeterred as he adjusted his own suit. "Ah, love is a beautiful journey—one that brings joy, companionship, and fulfills our purpose as Muslims. I believe in finding a partner who will strengthen me on the path of faith."

Hasan raised an eyebrow, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. "Yes, yes, the path of faith. Like with Jasra huh?"

Yaasir chuckled, his eyes sparkling with unwavering optimism. "Perhaps, Hasan. I'm telling you. I'll be the one she'll marry, no questions asked. Believe me, you don't want to finish your life as an old angry man, always talking about how his career was incredible. Follow the good path."

Hasan shrugged dismissively, his gaze fixed on Yaasir's idealistic expression. "To each their own. I prefer the clarity and stability of a rational mind."

This conversation has been on repeat since Hasan told his friend his conversation with his mother. An endless battle of ideologies kept their house lively. Throwing their last adjustment to their suits, they left the house and made their way to the event.

Hasan's car was brand new. It was a gift he made to himself after finishing his medical studies. A special gift his father had promised but couldn't keep. It was a black Jeep Cherokee, which looked so cliché when he was going to the gym. But he liked it and it was his. It was all that mattered. Yaasir made fun of him at first, but after his first ride he mumbled about how it wasn't such a bad car after all. The route was no longer than ten minutes away from their house, incredibly practical when urgencies happened. As Hasan drove, Yaasir put some Quran in the car and closed his eyes. Ramadan would end in a few days, and Yaasir loved this month so much, saying goodbye to it was always a nightmare.

The seconds became minutes, and they arrived safely to the parking. In a second, Yaasir left his calm and went back to his outgoing personality, changing it like it was an old shirt.
The room was dense with people and directors of the multiple hospitals in Toronto. It made Hasan uncomfortable at first, as he observed his friend's easy charm and genuine interest in everyone he encountered. The social butterfly persona that Yaasir effortlessly embodied amused Hasan, who couldn't help but offer subtle jabs and sarcastic remarks.

"You really enjoy being the life of the party, don't you, Yaasir?" Hasan remarked, a hint of amusement tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Yaasir grinned unabashedly, his charisma shining through. "Life is too short not to embrace the joy of human connection. Besides, a warm smile and friendly conversation can go a long way."

Hasan shook his head, his lips curling into a wry smile. "Yes, yes, a warm smile. But let's see how long that lasts in this sea of pretense and shallow conversations."