Chapter 2

His Grandmother had once told him that being different was a gift. But as he looked at his life as it was, with the number of people he could count as friends nonexistent...and when he looked at Kaveh's life, and the burn out the Senior experienced on a daily basis...he sometimes wondered if it was a curse, as well.

"Alhaitham? Are you still with me?"

He blinked and his eyes focused on Kaveh. "Yes. What did you say?"

Kaveh shrugged his weird behavior off. "I was thinking we should do a joint research project."

"A joint research project? Hm. Sure."

"Since you're an expert in linguistics and I'm knowledge about architecture, how about we do a research project about ancient ruins and structures?"

"Sounds good. I'll apply for funding tomorrow. Let's put a plan together."

After plenty of discussion, they decided on studying the runes and the architectural philosophy of the ruins left behind by King Deshret's ancient civilization.

Alhaitham submitted an application soon after, and he was swiftly given the green light to proceed with the research project. And so, the research project Decoding the Runes and Architectural Philosophy of the Ruins of King Deshret's Civilization began. The rumors about Alhaitham and Kaveh being friends had already spread months before, but now they were actually working together on a research project? There might have well been visions falling from the sky.

Many scholars from Haravatat and Ksharewar joined in on the joint research project. Despite whatever concerns they had regarding Alhaitham, or the fact that they didn't know Kaveh very well, the student who scored high marks on every exam, they couldn't miss the chance to be a part of the research project that was practically set for success.

Little did they know, it would turn out to be a grave mistake on their part.

"The design of the pyramid is simply genius, and not even to mention the upside-down pyramid that's attached to the apex! It's hard to imagine the amount of labor it took to build the tomb, as well. It must have taken so much gypsum mortar, their access to resources really..."

Alhaitham's heart both warmed and swallowed up with bitterness as he recalled the similar passionate speeches his Grandmother, a Ksharewar scholar, used to give him. He glanced at the picture Kaveh's Kamera had taken thoughtfully. "How is the upside-down pyramid suspended?"

Kaveh slammed his hands down on the table excitedly. "That's just the thing! It must've been the ancient technology of the civilization! I mean, it technically could've been a kind of Plaustrite—you know, that thing they use to make the Jade Chamber in Liyue float—but I don't think they could've had access to it, seeing as they were all in the middle of the desert. But still, because it tapers off at the bottom—seeing as it's upside down—the weight of the base is so much greater than that of the apex there's no conceivable way that it hasn't fallen over yet—and that's not even including the discussion about how they built the thing in the first place!"

Alhaitham gave an educated guess. "Anemo visions?"

Kaveh pointed a finger at him in shock. "Oh, wait a minute, that might be right! If they had visions back then, anyway. Well, how have your findings of the runes in the tomb come along?"

"They're all written in ancient King Deshret script." Alhaitham flicked out a piece of paper. "Here, I copied them down. Most of them were runes commemorating ancient priests."

"Interesting. Were there any murals?"

"Only a few. Here's one of them." He pulled out his own Kamera to show Kaveh the photo. "Over here, there's a sun with an eye inside it. I believe that it's meant to represent King Deshret. And below it are seven pillars, which are likely meant to represent the backbone of the civilization, which held up King Deshret's authority."

"Seems like there's a whole lot of information to be had with the research project," Kaveh said eagerly. "I'll go tell the other scholars."

Alhaitham nodded his head in acknowledgement and his eyes followed Kaveh as he left. He stared at the empty space left behind. Somehow, Kaveh's presence was an entity that made him feel...completed. Their late night philosophical talks and their daily conversations at the library...it was like he had found the lost part of his heart that had broken after his grandmother had passed away. It was like Kaveh mended something in him he never knew was missing.

But of course, the peace in his heart could never last. It never had.