Chapter Eighty One

Erik scanned the kitchen. The five men he trusted most in the community were there with him. The faint aroma of sourdough starter was overlaid by the scent of dishwasher soap. Everyone else was asleep or in the ham shack monitoring the chatter on UHF and VHF frequencies.

All of them wore dark clothing, and Jett was applying camouflage face paint to those who wanted it.

Hakan and Armaruq distributed ammo for the handguns as he began his briefing.

"Everyone good with their locations?"

"Barn," Hakan said.

"Radio shack," Jett said next.

"I'll take my house," Chay answered.

"Tents. I expect they'll strike at the infirmary. The mess was pretty bad when we caught what's his face in there."

Grange paced restlessly as he spoke. "He was a cagy one, went with John Doe. Glad Captain Whipper took him off our hands."

"Aaron and Randy will take care of their place and warn us when things start to go down. Jax has been a treasure. He and his boss are sure they four men will fall right into the trap. The big issue is Angel. She's got survival instincts galore. Bran informed me she's been coming on to all of his men looking for the next leader. So far, she hasn't figured out they're cops, but she's suspicious."

"That girl is trouble." Chay's angry statement brought nods form all the men. "We all heard Ariel's story. Vicious brat."

The radio on the kitchen counter clicked and Randy's soft voice spoke.

"Bran and Jax just called for radio silence. That was their code for the beginning of operation Boom. Damn idiots aren't very inventive. Could've come up with something better."

"All right. Scram, Chay. Make sure you keep your horses safe. You should have enough time to get home before your target sets up at your place." Erik waved him out.

"The rest of you? You know the drill. Use the help from the Mounties. I've given you their names, they'll identify themselves."

More nods as men made their way to the garden door.

Armaruq said, "I'm heading up to the roof. Keep your ears open, I'll let you know when they get closer."

Erik wished he could be in more than one place at a time. All he could do was hope this plan went in his favor. The distant throbbing beat of helicopter blades gave him a huge lift. The Coast Guard was there as promised.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chay clattered into the garage and swung out of his saddle before Bingo stopped. Four quick steps had him across to the chain and he pulled the door down and threw the catch, locking it into place.

He heard the door at the top of the stairs open, as he loosened the cinch on his saddle.

"I take it trouble is on it's way?" Alicia's voice was soft.

Chay nodded and swung his saddle onto its storage mount beside the big appaloosa's stall. He slipped Bingo's bridle off and slapped his rump to get him to move into the big box stall. Winding up the reins, he put the horses head gear up on the hook in the corner post of the gate, the latched it.

"I'll come back out and rub him down after this is over with."

"Who's our target?"

"A guy named Grange. Jax said he was coming with him. He's the one that's most dangerous. According to what Erik told us, this Grange is a jerk. Smart too. He's been the brains behind Rico from the start. We'll have to be on our toes."

Chay put a measure of oats and barley in the feed trough and turned toward Alicia.

"Is Arimina asleep?"

Alicia nodded.

"I hope she stays that way. Jazz is up there with her, and Blue is asleep in her pen with the puppies."

"I'm glad they're inside. I'd hate to lose them to a stray bullet."

Alicia came the rest of the way down the stairs and walked over to him. Slipping her arms around his waist, she tightened them into a hard hug.

"Let's go up. Our bedroom window has a good view of the backyard and the path from the forest. It's time to hurry up and wait for them. If they're on foot, it's going to be a while."

"I'm thinking one of us upstairs, one down in the kitchen. The wrap around corner window by the sink gives us a view of anyone approaching from the road."

Chay bent his head to kiss Alicia on the forehead. His chest ached a bit with fear for them. Risky business, hoping they could capture the last four of the gang members.

"What's bothering you?" Alicia reached up to trace the wrinkles running across his forehead.

"It's that obvious?"

"These are a dead give away." Her slid along the deepest ridge.

"Angel. Not one of the gang or the RCMP special ops guys trust her. In fact, Jax expects she'll steal their van and the rest of the fuel they have stored away while they're gone."

"We'll deal with her later. It's all we can do. Air support should spot her if she takes off."

Chay nodded. "No other option. Damn."

"Come one inside," Alicia said. She tugged his hand and led him up the three steps leading inside.

He followed her, turning the lights off. He could hear the lynx kittens purring. The soft snuffling of Dolly and Corky as they munched on their share of feed spoke of steady comfort. When he turned his head, he heard the soft squeaking voices of Blues pups in the corner pen.

"I hate leaving this door closed."

Chay pulled it shut.

"I know, but this time we have no choice. I don't want Blue caught in any crossfire. Feeding puppies all hours of the night won't be a picnic." Alicia turned the deadbolt. "And this will keep an intruder going straight through. Unlocking the door is one step to many if they're trying to get away from us."

"Are you ready for this?" Chay asked.

"To tell the truth, no. But I'll do whatever it takes to keep us all safe." Alicia squared her shoulders as she spoke.

"Me too. Let's take our positions."

Alicia pulled his head down for a kiss. His heart was thundering by the time she broke away.

"Remember that I love you. We've got this. This Grange sucker is one guy against three of us."

Chay sighed as Alicia disappeared up the stairs. He hoped she was right.