Chapter 5: Bouts of Nausea

CHAPTER FIVE:
Bouts of Nausea.

Post–Opening Ceremonies.
6:30 PM.

     DAHLIA AND AURELIUS bade them farewell when they were dismissed from the ceremony and taken back to the Remake Center. The Training Center, where Polly and Flax would be staying leading up to the Games, was about a block past to the left, but there were cars to take them there. Cecelia was quite pleased with their performance if the strength in her stature was anything to go by. Since they'd arrived, she had a slouching posture. There was this image in Polly's head of a hero, even if she had pushed it back underneath what she knew now about the Games, so it felt like something had shattered in her heart seeing Cecelia look so weak. Like finding out the folk stories of the elders in Beulah were lies. A hammer in the heart of a childish belief.

     "Art's been in the sponsors' box," Cecelia said. She circled her arms around their backs, but didn't touch them. Rather, she was corralling Polly and Flax to keep their backs to the other groups in the Remake Center. "He was able to slip away during Snow's address and called me— they're very taken with the both of you. Before the parade even started, everyone was talking about you, Polly, and they think, Flax, that you look darling. He's still up there, as far as I'm aware, sweet talking, et cetera."

     "That's good, yeah?" Polly asked, taking two water bottles from a tray that an Avox was carrying around, and handing one to Flax.

     "More than," Cecelia replied. "Technically, it's my job to schmooze, but the first day is always the hardest for me, you know. I'll be out on your behalf tomorrow, promise."

     "Hardest?" Flax asked after taking a gulp of water.

     She smiled sadly, "They take away your scars after the Games, but it's always there. Behind your eyes. I may have survived, but every year I come back with two new kids and everything is the same."

     Polly looked from Flax to Cecelia, but got distracted in between. Through the break in between their shoulders, there was the boy from District 10 staring at her from the space between his mentor and the girl from his district. He had red hair that was cut short on the sides, but allowed some length on top of his head for it to flop over his temples. A couple of years younger than Polly, and not terribly intimidating, she hadn't given him much thought. Still, his harsh stare was off putting, and Polly wasn't sure what to even make of it.

     "Polly?" Cecelia snapped a finger in front of Polly's face. "What's so fascinating?"

     "That guy is staring at me," she said, nodding her head toward him after she turned to look at Cecelia.

     Cecelia followed the turn of Polly's neck, but Luca Hollis had already turned his back to them to walk away into the night. "Luca Hollis. District Ten. Livestock. By the looks of it, he knows his way around a cleaver. Probably knows more than his fair share on animal food sources in the arena. He wouldn't be a bad ally."

     "He was looking at me weirdly," Polly replied, like that was an official 'no' to allying with Luca.

     "Like a piece of meat?"

     "No. I don't know! But I'm still uncomfortable." She crossed her arms over her chest protectively. It wasn't until just then, that she registered the temperature. It was chilly

     "Everything about this place is uncomfortable," Cecelia rebutted. "Keep an eye on him in training. Observe his strengths and weaknesses. All you can do now is outlive him. For now, though, let's go outside. Put some distance."