Flashback update

Billy had always hated school. The idea of being stuck in an odd building all day gave him sweaty palms, and his words caught in his throat, so for all his years he had been homeschooled by his mother. He was troubled... that gave his Dad more then enough reason to insist he didn't go to school. Now that he was supposed to be entering third grade, he had to be enrolled in the local elementary, even with his anger. His mom promised if she could keep teaching him, she would, but she no longer knew how or what materials he would need to learn.

So here he is, holding his mom's hand, standing on the blocky brick building steps. The bell had already rung, but he couldn't seem to move, eyes scanning the building. He couldn't breathe.

"Oh, baby..." Billy's mom kneeled down to her knees, in front of him. "You remember what I told you?" She raised her eyebrows, reaching over to grab hold of Billy's hand, holding up her free hand. "You take your finger," She held out two fingers "And you press them against your wrist just like this, "She held those two fingers up to the pulse on his wrist, still tight in her grasp. "Boom, Boom, Boom...See? You breathe, In and out, In and out till the beats slow right down to normal. Then you take your fingers and you tap your thigh to the beat of your heart."

Billy had removed his hands from hers, copying the movements she had just shown him. Soon enough his breaths slowed to a normal in and out. He hand tapped along his thigh while his mom dusted herself off and stood up.

"Mom, can you walk inside with me?" Billy said, hand still tapping against his thigh.

"Of course, I can Billy." She looked down at him, and a warm smile overtook her face. "You ready?"

Billy took a couple more breaths, hand leaving his thigh. Billy only had to take a couple more breaths before answering with a meek nod.

Billy and his mom, Nancy, started to walk up the school steps. When Nancy checked him in she walked him to the door to his class, saying her goodbyes and leaving him to his own devices.

Billy walked in.

His gaze scanned the room, Kids in sparkly clothes stood out from the kids wearing muted colors. His eyes burned, and everything was already too bright. His ears stop listening to the children's chatter, and everything looks warped. He breathes to fast, yet he can't get any air in his lungs. Everything is pounding and-...

"William!!" Suddenly the teacher kneeled in front of him, and the world stopped spinning. He pushed his arm out of the teacher's hold, his fingers scrambled to grasp his elbow. He closed his eyes. He doesn't want to be in this stupid place, feeling someone else pulse calmed him much more then feeling his own, still though he held his fingers to his elbow (Idk what that part above ur elbow is called) and took breaths. In and out, in and out. His eyes opened, and his fingers let go of himself. All the while the teacher led him to a small plastic blue chair.

Even though it helped his mom, tapping never much helped him. He'd much rather continue feeling the pulse. Feeling it slow when he held his breath...He wondered what it was like. He had seen movies, snuck one when his parents were asleep. It looked cool.

"Alright class, I don't think out new friend," Billy snarled a bit at that, but it was invisible from where he sat. "-William can give us a proper introduction today. William will you please just say your name and where your from?"

Billy nods, short and quick. "My name is Billy. I don't like the name William, so don't call me that. I'm from woodsboro, born and raised." His voice was clear, as if his... attack never happened.

The teacher went on to say thank you, before her voice faded into the lesson plan for today.

———