Chapter 6

I met Joe Solomon in Roseville, Virginia, right outside of the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. It was a place blocked off from the rest of the world where the best female spies trained with its tall stone walls, security guards, and cameras that were meant to keep the outside world out.

My school was another story with tall mountains and barred windows. Everyone thought we were bad kids because we went to a school with a WARNING: DO NOT COME ANY FARTHER PAST THIS POINT sign on the front.

We're not always spies.

We're not good people.

Assassins.

That's what we are and in  the end...it's who I am.

It made me wonder what Cammie would say if she knew the truth.

If she understood.

I wanted her to know me and see me and like me, even with all of the bad things I've done and want me to know her too.

But I know that she'll hate me.

You can't really love a killer, can you?

Joe looked serious and darkly diabolical as he said, "Cammie was at the train station."

My answer was cool and calm. "I know."

Joe's eyes widened. "You saw her. You're the boy Abby saw and was..." It wasn't a question -not really. It was a data point, an analysis, but the way he faltered almost startled me.

"Abby was what?" I demanded, scared of the answer.

"She was scared that you might have hurt Cammie. I've told them. Her mother, I mean and her aunt. They all know." He looked at me sharply and I took a deep breath. "You haven't  gone back to the school have you?"

"No. I only went back to spy on my mother and she wanted my admittance into the circle." I drew breath. "I said no."

"Stay away from Blackthorne, Zach," Joe said. "You need to protect Cammie."

I noticed for the first time. "Why do you care about her so much?" I asked, it seemed like the million dollar question.

Joe looked at me and I saw the sadness in his eyes -that flashed with depth and darkness. "She's her father's living legacy, Zach. She's all that I have left of him." Joe looked up. "I tried, Zach. I really did. I tried to talk her out of Covert Operations but she's not one to listen. Just like she's not going to listen when Abby told her to stay away from you. She's not that kind of girl. She doesn't care what you've done."

"What do you mean, she doesn't care?" I demanded. "She asked a lot of questions and I'm pretty sure she's mad at me for not giving answers to them."

"She cares about you, no matter how much you try to deny it. Abby was telling me how she watched you go and looked at you like you hung the moon when you jumped out the train. It scared Abby."

Hung the moon? What was that supposed to mean. "What are you trying to say?" I snapped.

"I'm telling you that she loves you and you're one of the only people who can protect her," Joe hissed.

I was silent.

"Her father was the best pavement artist I ever knew. He always said that Cam was going to be good and she's more than that. She's the best there is. If you haven't heard of Cameron Morgan, you're in for big trouble."

I'd paid attention to everything about Cammie. I had noted what she liked to eat at school and what made her laugh and what made her smile. I knew what blows hurt her the most and I...knew her.

Maybe it was weird.

Yeah, it probably was.

But I liked her, a lot

"You'll see us at the Roseville football game for a training op. We won't let Cammie and Macey go but there's a chance that they'll find their way there on their own. If you see them, make sure that you get them home. I don't want things going south from here. We need to protect her," Joe said.

I nodded. "I will."

"Good." Joe looked at the walls of the Gallagher Academy. "I've got to go. They'll miss me." He looked at me once more. "Keep her safe, Zach."

He turned and walked away.

Protect her, I told myself.

Protect Cammie.

Keep her safe...

Follow me or vote if you liked the chapter. Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment. I totally heart you.