4- Three Years Later

I couldn't focus.

I was trying my best to read the book in my hand, but it was useless. Every word written on the page flew right over my head. Why? You might ask. Well, some people didn't understand the meaning of peace and quiet. 'People' being Louis Partridge.

All I asked of him was fifteen minutes of 'me' time, with no interruptions or other guests, not 'us', time. But obviously he couldn't quite understand the meaning of such a simple request. He was very lucky that he also happened to be my best friend, my only friend. 

"Don't be so gloomy Y/n." He spoke, pouting when I lifted my head up from my book. "You know I hate it when you are."

"Well good thing I didn't ask for your opinion."

"Ooh, she's feisty!" He teased, sitting up since he was previously laying on his stomach beside me. Then he suddenly began to tickle me, causing me to lose grip of the book and drop it onto the grass. 

"You made me lose my page!" I struggled to breath out while fighting for my life. If it wasn't obvious already, I hated being tickled. Louis of course knew that better than anyone else. 

It was his method for fixing everything, it always had been since we were little children. Every time I was upset or angry, whether it was with him or anything else, he'd tickle me. He said it worked every time, but I beg to differ. I was pretty much forced into saying I felt better in order to make sure he didn't start tickling me again. Although I did appreciate his effort.

"So, are you ready to tell me what's been bothering you this entire day?" 

"I don't know what on earth you're talking about." I replied, picking my book back up and lifting it in front of my face. This prevented him from seeing my face, because if he did, he would know I was lying. Sadly, it didn't work very well.

"Yes, you do." He slowly pushed the book down onto my lap, holding intense eye contact with me. That was until I got too nervous and turned away. "Please Y/n, there's no need to lie to me."

"Fine, if you must know so badly, me and Lily had another argument." 

I should probably inform you that 'Lily', short for Lillian was the same older sister of mine. By two years that was. Our relationship had completely crumbled over the past seven years, with nothing but bitterness and hatred. 

Arguments were fairly common between us now, well in the three times a week we were around each other. Most of the time she was busy doing future Queen business. Whatever the hell that was meant to be. 

She was the oldest sibling, so of course she was the next to rule once our parents stepped down. Trust me, no one would let me forget she was the future of this kingdom. It was always Lily this, Lily that, it's why Louis wasn't surprised when I told him why I was upset.

"I know it's old Lou." I sighed, laying back in defeat with my arms crossed over my book. Louis soon joined me, his gaze remaining on the clouds passing by. "It's just all anyone ever talks about is Lily, I get so sick of it, so I snap at her, and she snaps back. You know what I mean?"

"Well, uh yes, sort of, sometimes Millie and I fight, but not nearly as much as you two." He tried his best to comfort me even though it wasn't really, comforting. "But if it counts for anything, you're still my favourite and you always will be."

"Well thank you Partridge. It does, in fact count." 

In my peripheral vision, I could see the smirk growing on his face and I knew exactly what he had planned. Carefully placing my book down beside me, I launched up off the grass before running away.