Wo bhooli dastan 1

"I want you to come with me to Haveli this time. Or I will not go there." Arham, Meerab's 5 year old son said pouting. "I don't like that Nadiya aunty, who Bakhtu Kaka said is going to be my new mom."

"You shouldn't be gossiping with the staff. They only know half cooked stories." Meerab said preparing pan cakes for Arham. Why does it still hurt when it was her decision to leave that life behind her. When she had promised to never shed a tear because of that man.

"I can't go there. I can't take off from my work. And everyone will be waiting for you there. You know your Maryam Phuppo is coming back from Canada? Your cousins Sana and Yusuf will be there too. You were missing them. Weren't you?" She tried to convince him to go to Haveli. But he stuck on his decision.

"We will talk about it only after you come back from school." Meerab said packing his bag. "Now move fast or you will miss the bus."

Meerab dropped Arham to school and started getting ready for office. She had joined the legal firm when she came back to Karachi to her parents house. Her father, Waqas Ahmad was not happy about it. He wanted her to complete her studies first. But she didn't want to be dependent on her parents. She wanted to provide for her son herself. Though his father didn't leave any chance to spoil him. She didn't accept a single rupee he send for Arham. She had made an account for Arham. Where all his money goes.

Murtasim might had thousand shortcomings but being a bad father wasn't one of them. Arham always went to Hyderabad to Khan Haveli every weekend. And Murtasim made sure to give him as much attention as possible. He would take Arham to Gao with him, teach him horse riding, and all other navabi shauq that he had grown up with himself. But since last few visits Arham wasn't happy. He was persistently asking Meerab to go to haveli with him. How can she tell him that it was impossible. She can never go back there. She didn't want to but her heart took her back to that unfortunate trip to Hyderabad.

_________________________________________
Flashback

When Meerab visited hyderabad after ten years with her father she was only 18. Her Dadi was severely ill. Her father Waqas Ahmad had left Hyderabad to pursue his career as a professor in Karachi. At first they visited Hyderabad every year but after sometime when Waqas grew busy in his work. He didn't had time to meet his mother. When he came to know of her fragile condition. He immediately went hyderabad. He felt guilty to leave his mother in such condition. He didn't even come back after his elder brother Shahnawaz Khan's untimely demise.

Her Dadi opted Meerab as her eldest grandson Murtasim's wife. "Main chahti hu ke Meerab mere Murtasim ki dulhan bane." She said. Murtasim was the gaddi janasheen of Hyderabad. He was son of Begam Sarwat Jahan Khan's eldest son Shahnawaz Khan. Shahnawaz Khan died when Murtasim was only 16 and Maryam 14 years old. Their mother also died in an accident 4 years back. Which Murtasim doubted was choreographed by the Maliks, their enimy clan.

"Main chahti hu mere Murtasim ke liye Meerab jesi pyari si ladki lau. Jo usey sambhal le. Mujhe dar lagta hai wo is badle ki aag me khud ko na jala le." Begum sarwat jahan said to Waqas. Waqas Ahmad didn't want a rogue like Murtasim for his daughter but he also didn't want to disapoint his mother. So he agreed to this rishta. But on one condition that they will only do the nikah but rukhsati will take place after Meerab will complete her studies.

"Lekin Baba mein Murtasim se shadi nahi karna chahti. Khauf ata hai unhe dekh kar. Mei esey mahol me kese reh paugi?" She said to her father when they were alone in their room.

"Tum fikr mat karo. Bas ma ka dil rakhne ke liye kar rahe hain ye sab. Ab unke paas kuchh hi din bache hain. Bas nikah karke chale jayege. Jab tak tumhari padhai puri hogi Ma shayad is duniya me rahe bhi nahi. Phir tumhe khula dilwa denge. Main khud apni beti ko is rudhi wadi jagah par akela nahi chhod ke jauga." He consoled her.

But he was wrong Murtasim did not take this deception very nicely.

Meerab could still see that scene when he came to know of her father's plans.

It had been a week to their nikah. He hadn't talked to Meerab even once. But many times Meerab felt his gaze on her. Which made her brethe hitched. She told herself she was bothered because she feared him but deep down his raw savage personality used to excite her too.

It was the day they were supposed to go back to Karachi. She was packing her bags when she heard loud voices from outside. She went to see and found Murtasim pointing a gun on her dad's forehead. "Agar aap ko ye shadi manzoor nahi thi to mu par bolte. Lekin Khan ko dhoka dene ka nateeja lagta hai bhool gaye hain aap." His voice was ice cold.

Meerab ran down the staircase. She shielded her father by standing in front of him. "Please.... please mere baba ko kuch mat kriye." Murtasim's eyes dipped to meet her gaze. She was so tiny yet she tried to take a stand for her coward father. Murtasim was in awe of her.

"Meerab tum hato yaha se...."her father shouted. But she didn't budge from her place. Neither did Murtasim he was stuck on the spot by her bravery and her beauty. Grown up men kneel down in front of Khan Murtasim Khan. But she stood tall protecting her father.

"I will only let you go Chacha Sahab if you leave my wife here in Hyderabad." He finally looked at his uncle. "Otherwise you know what we do with traitors in Khan haveli." He said still pointing the gun at him.

"Kabhi nahi, main apni beti ko tum jese janwar ke sath kabhi nahi chhoduga." Her father shouted.

"Mein yahi rukugi. Mere baba ko jane dijiye." Meerab said trying to look confident but her trembling limbs gave her away.

"Meerab kya bol rahi ho." Her father was astonished.

"Ma ko apki zyada zarurat hai. Baba please jaiye. Unki tabiyat theek nahi hai." She pleaded. Because she knew her father was not safe here. She didn't care for her safety but her mother needed her father most.

"Sarwar Khan! chacha sahab ko unke ghar chhod ke ao." Murtasim said to his guard. His guards pulled Waqas Khan to their jaguar and left for Karachi.

Meerab stared at the empty space where her father was standing a few minutes ago. She heard footsteps coming closer to her from behind. And the reality sinked on her making her body go cold with fear. Murtasim came to stand right behind her. "Ab yahi tumhara ghar hai. Tum yahan mehfooz ho jab tak tum is ghar se wafadar ho."

Meerab came out of her thoughts when her phone ringed. It was from office. She was late again.

_________________________________________
Leave your comments. I would love to know how do you feel about this story.