𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

atsumu isn't a liar. 

at least, not to you

he is a good player. you don't know much about volleyball (not as much as the miya twins want you to know) but you can tell when a set is good, when a hit is satisfying, and when the refs have fucked up. 

atsumu's sets are heavenly. they soar through the air and eclipse with the overhead lights like the moon, and they always seem to land directly in the palm on the hitter, which lets them rack in all the winning points. 

his serves are another breed of monstrous, though. there's a glare in his eyes like you've never seen before, something of pure hunger and devotion. he spins the ball in his hands, bounces it against the ground a few times, then glares up from his spot and narrows his eyes, before flinging it up in the air and meeting it at its curve. 

multiple times, he got a service ace against the other team, who towards the second set started getting tired. you could see their blockers straining against the wind resistance to jump up, and their hitters were slowly getting swapped out, and more and more were their stronger servers who were benched being entered. 

"yeah, let's go, inarizaki!" you overheard a couple girls shouting, before seeing one turn to the other and whisper, "god, there goes atsumu."

"i heard he's like, the ace," one girl responded. 

"not the ace, silly. he's kinda like an insanely overpowered setter."

"he's hot, though. his brother isn't half bad either."

you giggled at the comments, before turning your focus to the game at hand again. atsumu's balls were once again soaring through the air, landing right in between two players on the other team who were drenched in sweat and anxiety. inarizaki was winning by a landslide, and you almost felt bad for the opponents. 

"hell yeah! ya saw that one, y/n?" atsumu yelled from the court, pointing up at you. taken aback, you just quickly nodded and gave him a thumbs-up. jesus christ, you thought to yourself. atsumu really does ride that high of good serves. 

the girls who were whispering busily earlier turned around to look at you. "oh, aren't you his friend, y/n?"

you nodded. "yeah. my first time here, though. intense stuff."

"yeah! definitely! you should come more often, our school's pretty good, ya know? i heard last year we almost made it to nationals or something! isn't that crazy?"

that was pretty crazy. you recalled atsumu saying something about that and the spring tournaments last year, but you didn't exactly understand anything he was saying. it was a bunch of sports talk that osamu had to save you from. but you did remember congratulating them, and also hugging atsumu when he came home crying late at night, osamu trailing behind. 

"y/n, you're so lucky that atsumu even knows who you are," one of the girls whined, looking behind her as she kept filming the match. "i'd kill for him to talk to me."

"why?" you asked, half-jokingly. i mean, you knew about your friends' popularity within the school for being good at sports and pretty muscly, as well as having an insane attitude (mostly on atsumu, though). 

the girl's friend broke out in laughter. "she's got a massive crush on him, that's what!"

"hey! why'd you say that?" the girl yelled, covering her mouth, embarrassed. 

"you have a crush on tsumie? that's funny. you should try to make it work," you shrugged. maybe getting a girlfriend who bloated his ego even more would be good for atsumu. or... absolutely chaotic. either way, it'd get his mind off of you, and you'd be free to look for that 'true romance' you always dreamed of. 

"nah, no way. besides, aren't you two dating?" the girl asked. 

you blinked. once. twice. "HUH?"

"sorry! it's just he talks about you all the time, like, 'i can't wait for y/n to see this' and 'i hope y/n is free to go to tokyo with me this weekend'... i just assumed," she muttered. "sorry. i didn't know any better."

"it's - it's fine. just surprising. that's embarrassing, haha," you sighed, still blinking quickly in surprise. 

"which, by the way, i think he got you two tickets to some amusement park in tokyo for this weekend. he's been talking about it non stop in our literature class," the girl said, finally turning her phone off and turning to face you. "if i were you, i'd be so excited! i hope you have fun."

ah, i told him i'm not interested, you wanted to say. but the only thing that could come out of your mouth was, "thanks."

--

"you killed it," you said simply as the miya twins clambered out of the school entrance, doused in tiredness and chugging pocari sweat. 

"which one of us?" osamu said in a lilting tone, smirking. 

"both. now c'mon, i wanna go home," you said, pushing the miyas in front of you. 

atsumu let out  a big sigh, tilting his head back to look at you. "did ya see my fangirls? i got a bunch, huh?"

"yeah," you agreed. you thought back to what one of the girls said to you, about how atsumu wouldn't stop talking about how he wanted to go to the amusement park together. you had already declined, but some good samaritan spirit inside of you thought you should maybe give him a chance. he didn't seem like he was planning to go with anyone else anyway, and two tickets were more than a couple hundred bucks. 

"hey, one of your fangirls was telling me-"

"ugh, which one? i have so many."

"shut your ass up. anyways, she was saying something about the theme park in tokyo or whatever, and i was thinking i might go with you this weekend," you shrugged. 

and you swear to god, you have never seen atsumu happier. 

"really? ya mean it? are ya serious?" he yelled, hands in the air and beaming from ear to ear. "god, i've been waiting  for ya to say that! i promise i won't let ya down. ya know how fun i am."

just seeing atsumu this happy made you quite ecstatic to go too. he had that charm of swaying people, a mood-maker, if you will. 

"of course," you said, rolling your eyes playfully. "pick up the pace, slowpoke."

you pushed atsumu in front of you to keep moving, and as you did so, you locked eyes with osamu, who smirked at you with a knowing smile. 

idiots, both of them