Back from the Stars

Back from the Stars

chapter 1

The sound of footsteps in the hallway quickly faded until it disappeared completely. She was alone. When she realized she was indeed, she let herself fall into the large leather chair behind the heavy desk. At her back the dying sun cast faint rays that barely lit the large room.

-You didn't wait for me.

She murmured as he ran a hand over the folders piled on the desk and over the laptpop that had once belonged to him.

Despite it all a tear peeked out at the edge of her eye and slid down her pale cheek. She let go a contrite sigh and forced herself to get up. She jumped to her feet and grabbed all the paperwork and the laptop in her arms. She walked to the door and tried to open it with an elbow. Her long hair swirled in the air.

Only with considerable effort was she finally opened the door. The corporal at the counter immediately snapped to attention.

-Admiral Hayes!

-I will take this to my quarters.

She said pointing at her folder-laden arms.

-I've had enough for today.

The young officer nodded and proffered to help. Lisa Hayes glanced one last time at Admiral Gloval's office. She shook her head as she felt a migraine attack her brain. She had been like this all the time since she had returned from her long journey with SDF2, a week earlier. She could not get used to the Earth's gravity.

Yet that dark, ravaged planet had once been her home.

As the elevator doors closed she decided to visit the military cemetery, immediately, the next day. She wanted to see that grave, she wanted to mourn those tears that refused to come forth.

Flowers...

Yes she would bring him flowers and tell him how much she had missed him.

Would there be flowers in here?

As she left the Headquarters, the security guards at the exit handed her a respiratory mask and made sure she wore it.

-Is this really necessary?

They looked at her as if she had spoken in another language. One of them was a micronized Zentraedi.

-I'm afraid so, ma'am. As a precaution, you shouldn't inhale the air for too long.

Lisa got into the military car with darkened glass windows. When she was in the back seat alone, she took off her mask and grabbed her smartphone.

She typed a short text then rested her head on the seat and closed her eyes. Maybe she was just adjusting her system to the Earth atmosphere after that long journey. Yet on Tirol* she had not felt that kind of discomfort. She smiled faintly at the memory of that savage planet.

Your dream has come true.

she thought

A new text message snapped her out of her thinking.

"I'm still at the base. I'm going to be late. It's really a mess here."

Nothing else.

Lisa sighed but decided not to answer

The car headed into the former military quarter of New Macross.

Nothing was different and yet everything really was. The old tin can houses had been torn down and small 2-story buildings had been built in their place.