Forgive Yourself ≫ Briarlight x Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: Retrokettu

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Angst
• Mentioned death
• Severe injury
• Panic attack

This is a request for Daisytail. Thank you for your time!

****

"She's been asking about you, you know." Jayfeather's voice was surprisingly gentle. It wasn't like the blind medicine cat to sound so genuine, but things had changed. Too much has changed.

You let out a barely audible sigh, allowing your shoulders to slump in defeat. "I know."

Although you weren't looking at him—and you knew he couldn't see you—you could feel Jayfeather's gaze boring down on you like a coming storm. You knew what he was going to say next, but you dreaded it. "Then why haven't you visited her? Some company might speed up her recovery." You stifled an angry hiss, forcing your claws to remain sheathed. Ever since the accident—the one in which a tree had fallen and crushed Longtail to death and nearly killed your best friend—you hadn't been able to bring yourself to face her. You blamed yourself more than any of your clanmates could imagine. Every night, you laid awake in your nest and tossed around thinking of all the ways you could've helped. You could've stopped Briarpaw from following Longtail, or at the very least, you could've gone with her. Now you were a warrior, and Briarpaw—no, Briarlight— would have to spend the rest of her life in Jayfeather's den.

"(Y/N)." Jayfeather's voice was firm but not cold, and you slowly turned your head to meet the older cat's blind gaze. "She needs you now more than ever," The medicine cat continued, his voice somber. "I know you're afraid, but how do you think Briarlight feels right now? She needs her best friend more than herbs, more than her hind legs. Would you really deprive her of that?"

You bristled angrily, rising to your paws and finally letting the hiss that you had been holding back escape. "I am not depriving her of anything!" You protested harshly, every single one of your insecurities about the past moon flashing before your eyes like a raging fire. "Being a warrior is hard, Jayfeather! But I wouldn't expect you to understand that!" The blind medicine cat flinched, and you felt a slight pang of regret at your words. It wasn't his fault any of this happened; it would be unfair to take it out on him.

"Sorry," You mumbled, flattening your ears and averting your gaze. "I guess it's getting to me pretty bad."

"You have to see her," Jayfeather repeated without the slightest hint of remorse over what you just said. "She needs you." Then, the blind tom rose to his paws and stalked away. You sat in place, however, your thoughts racing and your paws numb. Jayfeather's words rang in your ears like thunder, and you couldn't get them to stop. 'She needs you'. How could she possibly need me anymore?

A brown pelt caught your eye, and you glanced up to see Briarlight dragging herself out of the medicine den. You swallowed hard, watching as she settled herself on the grass and crossed her forepaws in front of her. This was the first time you had seen her since the accident, and it caused a hard lump of dread to calcify in your throat.

Briarlight twitched her ears, turning her head in your direction. You drew in a sharp breath through your nose, intending to move your gaze elsewhere. It was too late, however; your best friend met your eyes and gave you the most joyful grin you had ever seen. Your belly churned painfully, and you had to swallow again to avoid spilling the squirrel you'd eaten earlier onto the ground. She's happy to see me. Why in StarClan's name is she happy to see me? Why doesn't she hate me?

"(Y/N)!" Briarlight purred, her blue eyes glowing in the evening sunlight. "How are you? I feel like I haven't seen you in moons!" You winced as of a thorn had just lodged itself into your pad. It felt like moons for you, too.

Feeling as if your paws were made of stone, you took a few tentative steps towards her and murmured, "H-hello, Briarlight...It's...It's good to see you..." Your voice cracked like ice, and a pitiful whimper escaped you. "...I am so, so sorry..."

The crippled she-cat's eyes widened slightly as tears began to trickle from your eyes, and she tipped her head off to the side. "(Y/N)..." She murmured. "...What's the matter? What are you sorry for?"

"...I'm sorry I couldn't..." You shuddered. Every word felt like shards of ice being dragged up your throat.

Briarlight stretched her right forepaw towards you, gently resting it on top of yours. "Hey, you're okay," She whispered gently. "Just breathe, (Y/N)..." You closed your eyes, taking several slow deep breaths in an attempt to calm your racing heart. "That's it," Your best friend murmured. "You're okay."

Once you were finally calm, you slowly opened your eyes and gazed at Briarlight wearily. "I didn't save you," You murmured numbly. "I didn't even try..."

The brown she-cat's eyes widened, then softened as realization shadowed her face. "I made a choice, (Y/N)," She replied, dragging herself a bit closer to you. "No cat could've changed my fate, not even you. So please don't blame yourself, okay?" She blinked, her blue eyes shimmering with kindness. Your heart untwisted slightly, and you sniffed before wiping tears away from your eyes with a forepaw and returning her smile. There had always been something infectious about Briarlight's optimism, even in hard moments. Still, a small sliver of doubt was lodged into your heart. What if I can never forgive myself? What then?

Briarlight seemed to notice your misgiving, because she sighed softly. "At least try," She murmured. "For me." A somewhat sudden spark of determination flickered within you as your crippled best friend spoke. Perhaps it wasn't too late; perhaps you could help Briarlight by forgiving yourself.

"Okay," You whispered, smiling at her through your tears. "I'll do my best."

Briarlight's gaze softened, and she tightened her grip on your paw somewhat. "Thank you." You sat down next to her, twining your tail with hers and watching the sun disappear below the treetops. As strange as it was, a feeling of peace had seemed to settle over the camp. It was a nice change from the recent stress, and you found yourself sinking into it.

I'll forgive myself, You decided, stealing one last glance at your best friend. It's the least I can do.

****

This was a lot of fun to write. I really enjoy hurt/comfort fics!

I hope this turned out the way you wanted it to, Daisytail. Thank you for being so patient! :)