Walls Of Jericho

4 Days After The Bombs

1 Day After The Fallout Has Cleared

The same video, playing over and over again on the tv at Baileys. Blurred shots of people running, a highway on fire, and still no answers. "I'm telling you, it's the Midwest. From the skyline, I'm thinking Cincinnati." Erics voice breaks me out of my thoughts, it's been a day since we saw the foreign broadcast. And in that day we were nowhere near being closer to having more answers. 

"I wish we could read the license plates." Jake says, walking over to sit down beside Eric and I.

"Well, let's make Cincinnati a question mark." I say taking another sip of my drink.  After seeing that broadcast yesterday we now have a map, marked with the locations, or at least what we think are the locations of where the bombs hit.

"Jake. Lizzie." Stanley says as he enters the bar, sitting next to Jake.

"Stanley. Hey, Bonnie."

"Anything new?" I wish.

"Not since yesterday."

"Shep and Gray should have been back by now."

"Our radios went silent about 50 miles out." I say, I still have the walkie talkie just in case but nothing yet.

"God, makes you wonder what happened to whoever shot this." Stanley says, just as focused on the Tv as everyone else.

"I think that might have been the last thing they ever saw." I hear the voice of the new comer, Robert Hawkins say, I still have my doubts about him but he has been helpful. Then the lights begin to flicker, causing a commotion throughout the bar. The generators running low. The lights come back for a minute before flickering out, plunging the bar into darkness. 

"Sorry, folks. We're closing early tonight." Mary says. 

"And thats my que." I down the rest of my drink, before standing up off the stool. Grabbing my jacket and flashlight. 

"Take a flashlight. It's dark out there." 

"What? It's only 9:30." Stanley complains. 

"You can drink more tomorrow, Stanley."

"Well, you heard her. Let's move it, folks. Time to go home." Eric says ushering people out of the bar. Jake and I exit the bar running into Heather on the way out. This will be interesting. 

"Hey."

"Hey. Is the generator out?"

"No, out of booze."

"Any more images?"

"No, just the same loop. Come on, I'll walk you home." Man, he needs to date her.

"Have a good night Heather. See you at home Jake." I say before walking away back towards the house. Man, its been four days. Four days since my brother came home. Four days since the bombs dropped. Four days since my life had changed faster than I could blink. 

"Lizzie." I turn to see Stanley calling for me. What happened now? "Jake found someone down at the pharmacy."

"Lets go then." Time to go see who Jake found.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanley and I arrive back at the pharmacy, outside are two deputies. 

"Lets go boys." The four of us enter the pharmacy. The light from our flashlights falling on a man on the floor, he's covered in what looks to be burns and looks unconscious. Radiation sickness?

"Jake. Who is he?" Jimmy, one of the deputies asks my brother, whose on the floor next to the man. 

"I don't know. Help me get him out of here."

"Not without gloves or a HAZMAT suit." The other deputy, Bill says, moving away from the man. 

"Well, we gotta get him to a doctor now." I bend down next to the man, not as afraid as Bill but still cautious. We need to get him to April.