The Fog

I tilted my head in confusion as my screen turned dark. Completely dark. 

What the heck? I was at 47 percent? 

I hurriedly tapped the screen, awakening it and hurried onto Roblox, where my friends were probably waiting. I clicked the play button, and groaned as the Waiting for Available Server  appeared at the bottom of the screen. Was Roblox seriously having issues? Durning my summer break? 

With an annoyed sigh, I turned my attention towards a simply hangout group I was in. I stopped as I saw the posts on the wall. The Fog Is Coming. The End Is Here. The fog? Really? Who has even seen fog as something scary? I saw other posts about a man, the sun and the moon, and bugs. 

Roblox is just down people. Chill.

I perked as my stomach rumbled, reminding me of the (favorite snack) we had just bought from the store. I hurried out of bed, and rushed to my door. The first thing I noticed was the cold. It hit me like a slap to the face. Sure the summer heat was bad, but not that bad. 

The second thing I noticed was the hunched over man at the end of the hallway. He was slightly tilting, leading me to believe that his leg was injured in some way. 

"The sun is bad!" He said in a silvery voice that seemed to wrap around me like a thick blanket. "The moon is bad! Don't trust them." The man had desperation woven in his silvery voice. "They'll lock you in the rubber room. It's the rats. They made me crazy. Don't. Trust. Them."

His last three words sounded more like an order than a request. I stood frozen, the man's silvery voice still wrapped tightly around me as he rushed at me full speed. I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. The man collided with me, evaporating into the shadows.

Then the bugs came. 

They crawled under my skin, making me scream in agony. There seemed to be millions of them hiding, causing me to scratch and scream like a mad man. I hurried back into the safety of my room, slamming the door, and kept screaming and scratching, begging for someone to help me. Tears streamed down my face, mixing with the blood that now coated my body. 

Then the mist came. 

It came from through my windows, under the door and swirled like a raging storm. Its majestic stormy grey color made me almost want to reach out and touch it. Let it take all my worries and problems away, taking me along with it. 

But the warning echoed through my head. 

The fog is coming. 

Maybe it was a good fog. One that could fix everything. Caving to the wishes that filled my head, I reached out a hand and let the thick fog wrap around me. It burned and melted my skin, straight to the bone, freeing the millions on bugs that had inhabited me. 

My screams turned to laughter as the fog surrounded me. The fog had freed me. 

I let out one, final manic laugh as the fog fully enclosed me. The world was gone. It had ended like no one had ever imagined. And Roblox triggered it all. 

————

I decided to make this after seeing what people were saying in the walls of groups. I found it hilarious and it gave me inspiration to write this. 

If you're reading this and have no idea what is going on, on July 19 2023 Roblox shut down for a while and people went to groups for entertainment. This was the result. 

I know I didn't get all the chaos wrapped up in this short story, but I got the ones I saw and liked the most. Hoped you enjoyed!