We're Not Good For Each Other

First part based off of Lips Of An Angel by Hinder

You and Jack had an interesting relationship, some could call it toxic, and maybe they were right, but neither of you would admit it. You had been with Jack for a little over a year and had been on and off for the last 2 years. Maybe it was a right person wrong time situation because no matter how hard either of you tried to move on it never worked, you would always come back to each other. Sometimes even when you both knew you shouldn't, like now.

Jack had a girlfriend he had been with for a couple months, and you even had a boyfriend at the moment, but that didn't stop you from calling Jack one night when you couldn't sleep. Should you be calling your boyfriend instead of Jack, maybe, but you didn't want anything other than someone to talk to. Maybe you missed Jack's voice also, it had been a couple months since you talked to him.

That's how your relationship was. You both get into other relationships, stop talking to each other, until one of you broke, calling the other or meeting up somehow, eventually breaking up with your partner to get back together, before eventually you and Jack would start fighting or break up for some reason, and then the cycle started all over again.

Your thumb hesitated over Jack's number, maybe one day you would bring yourself to delete it, but today wasn't that day, plus you had it memorized from the amount of time you spent staring at it. You glanced over to the other side of the bed, where your boyfriend had recently been sleeping, but luckily for you he was out with some friends and was going back to his place after, so he didn't disturb you when he was coming home.

You sighed as you pressed the call button, holding the phone up to your ear as you heard it start ringing.

Jack was laying on the couch with his girlfriend, watching a movie he was barely paying attention to. He would be lying if he said he hadn't been thinking about you more as of recently. He wanted to call you just as much as you wanted to call him, for some reason you couldn't stay apart for more than a couple months. If you wouldn't have been calling him tonight, you probably would have been the one getting the call.

Jack heard his phone ring, pulling it out of his pocket, his girlfriend looking over at him as he stood up to answer it.

"Just Urban, I'll be back." Jack told her, kissing the top of her head before walking out of the living room and into the bedroom. Deep down he knew why he was lying about who was calling him, it became an automatic habit every time.

Jack closed the door behind him, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Looking at the clock, seeing it was almost midnight. He sighed and pressed answer, holding the phone up to his ear.

"Hi baby." Jack whispered, calling you by the name that no matter how much time you spent apart was only made for you.

"Hi Jack." You smiled softly but at the same time your eyes started to water as the sound of his voice, missing him even more.

"I'm going to have to whisper, I can't talk to loud right now." Jack told you, and you sighed once again.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called, this was stupid." You started to apologize before Jack interrupted.

"It's okay, don't apologize." Jack reassured you, he never minded when you called him, he liked it.

"Is she there right now?" You asked, even though you already knew the answer. Your voice cracking when you talked as you started to cry. Jack nodded even though you couldn't see him.

"Yeah, she's in the other room, that's why I have to be quiet." Jack explained, both of you knew that already, it wasn't the first time you had been in this situation. "Are you crying? Are you okay?" Jack asked.