Chapter 44

Having Harry around was a bit reviving, despite his upcoming hearing at the Ministry. Charlotte was more willing to stay and share meals with the rest. And the more they cleaned the house, the better she felt in it. She would even go read in the drawing room couch, where it was quiet but not as solitary as her own room. On one night, the scarred teenager came in with two cups of tea.

« Mind if I join you ? Feels like we haven't talked in a while. »

« Not at all, thank for the tea. » The blond reached for the cup with the shadow of a smile. « Any topic in mind ? »

« I should probably start with... » He sighed deep. « I am sorry about Cedric. That I dragged him into that cemetery, that he paid the price for being with me. »

« Harry, no ! » Charlotte responded in both alarm and disbelief. « I absolutely don't think it's your fault, and you should not blame yourself either. Look, let me say it this way : I have had nightmares almost every night, and you have never appeared in them. »

And then the subject was all found. They went on about their nightmares, finding comfort about not being alone in this. Wether because their poured so much emotion out to each other or because they had worked a fair share in the house that day, they drifted to sleep at the end of a long conversation, sharing leg space under the couch's blankets.

        But having discussed her nightly terrors wasn't therapy enough to make them go away. Charlotte woke up in the dark, in a light layer of sweat. Turned to her side trying to find sleep again, she saw a shadow pass in the corridor and step back in the doorframe, and recognized Sirius's thin outline.

« You know you're welcome to sleep in a bed next time, anytime. » He declared in a murmur.

« It's very nice, thank you. » The girl whispered in order not to wake Harry. « But I think that's what we needed...trying to oppose a united front to the nightmares. »

Sirius took in the information with a moment of silence.

« I see, hope that'll work. But before, I was on my way to a nightly snack, wanna join the feast or you'd rather give another try to peaceful sleep already ? » He offered.

« Hum, maybe a glass of something. » Charlotte reflected as she got out of the covers. 

        « I am sorry about Cedric, he seemed like a great boy. I don't think I've said it. » Sirius told the blond girl once seated in the kitchen.

« He was. But you don't have to say sorry for anything. »

« Well, if I hadn't so stubbornly chased Pettigrew out of his hiding form... » He declared without looking at her.

« I have never thought of it this way. That half-man didn't need you to be a shitbag. » Charlotte assured with wet eyes.

« I probably put you right back into your nightmares, clever me. » The man added with a guilty expression after a pause. « Next time I promise I'll be more fun. »

She guffawed at the weirdly cool idea of such meeting becoming a habit between her and this weirdly cool host.

They didn't speak much more after this, him biting into a butter and jam sandwich and her sipping on warm milk, but Charlotte went back to bed feeling appeased.

        The young witch took Sirius' offer and stayed the night a few times, joining Hermione and Ginny's bedroom, reinforcing their friendly bond. Harry's victory at his hearing eased his mind, his attitude, and the general tension in the house. Charlotte was drowning her emotions in the buzz of common life, but sometimes it became overwhelming, too...normal. So she would get fast out of the house without giving much explanation to anyone. 

On one such occasion, instead of joining lunch in the crowded kitchen she headed for the first step outside 12, Grimmauld Place and disapparated to a countryside cemetery. She didn't need to search long for the name carved on the stone, she had landed almost right next to Cedric's grave. The bright sun above should have made her sweat in her hoodie, but it was like the cold just spread from her insides, all the the way to her fingertips and toes. Charlotte fell on her knees hands in the grass, shimmering, big tears pouring from the corners of her eyes. A flow of things she wanted to tell him about rushed in her mind. Like how difficult it was to go on, to mingle and pretend he had not gone forever, and the last two months felt like both three days or three years had passed depending on the instant. She did not know how long she was staying there, silently on all four. Before leaving, she flicked her wand to make a bouquet of red azaleas spring on the stone.

Only when she apparated at the door again did she realize she was really hungry. And when she opened it, those who usually only came for diner were indeed present, including her parents.

« My goodness, darling, where have you been ? Did something happen ? » Her father panicked at the sight of her.

His exclamation made Charlotte also take consciousness of how messy she must look, sweaty with red puffy eyes and dirt on hands and knees.

« I...I. Cemetery. » She stuttered.

« Oh. » Her mother reacted briefly, bearing the same uneasy face as the rest.

Lupin was the first to shake it off, cutting the silence. « Well, you're right on time for diner. » Clumsy but tendering, it made the girl smile a little.

        Unfortunately, the day for Charlotte's younger friends to get back to school came fast. A whole security squad was escorting Harry to King's Cross: Charlotte, Lupin, Tonks, Moody added to the Weasleys, and even Sirius insisted to join the trip. Of course, he couldn't go in his human form, so the blond witch was on the platform pretending « Snuffles » was her long time pet.

« Take care of you, Harry. And of each other. » She glanced at the rest of the group boarding the train, unable to think of more original parting words.

« I will. Hogwarts won't be the same without you...what are you going to do now ? »

« The house won't be the same either, I'll miss you so much. No, not you », she added teasingly to the dumbly smiling faces of Fred and George who were eaves dropping. « I plan to pass the Auror's tests, try to join the training. »

« That's great ! You'll be the best, I'm sure. » Harry replied enthusiastically.

« Thanks, sweetie. Oh, and I'll obviously take care of Snuffles, don't worry about him. » She dropped her voice to be more discreet amid the waves of students and parents. « I can also play postwoman, so don't hesitate to write to my parents' place. » She winked before drawing him into a hug.

The boy squeezed her tight.

« Thanks Charlotte, for everything. I love you. »

She gave an acknowledging nod and let him go as the train signaled its imminent departure, and waved at the whole gang with the rest of the Order. It felt quite weird to be left behind on the platform. Although, she didn't know if she would ever have the strength to set foot in the haunted castle ever again.