Unsettled Passion

"Marry you?!"

Marci was in shock, her mind betraying her pounding chest and exhausted body, having just experienced more passionate lovemaking than she ever thought possible from the man she had fallen in love with.

"Yes, Marci. Marry me. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Jimin was hopelessly, breathlessly, madly in love with her. As he gasped for air, waiting for a response from her, a sense of doom crept into his heart. His proposal was not being received as he had hoped it would be.

Marci's mind was overwhelmed with thoughts. Practical thoughts. Negative thoughts. All but the thoughts Jimin had hoped for. And she finally broke her silence.

"Jimin, I love you more than I ever thought possible. More than I ever thought I could love any man..."

Jimin beamed. She loved him back!

"...but this is too soon. I can't marry you. At least not yet. I need to know."

"What do you mean you need to know? Need to know what? I know everything I need to know about how I feel about you. You're the one I want to grow old with, Marci. You're everything to me."

"Jimin, the past several days have been wonderful, but we hardly know each other. Not really."

"Marci, I've known you since we were kids camping here in the summer. It's been over 15 years! How can you say that?"

"No, Jimin. You knew of me. And I knew of you. But we don't really know each other apart from our interactions during summer camp."

Jimin sat up, turning his back to her. "I know what kind of person you are. I know you love children. I know you are gentle and kind. I know you have a great sense of humor. I know you are the most beautiful woman I have ever met, inside and out. I know I love you with my entire being. That's enough for me."

Marci sat up, wrapped her arms around Jimin's shoulders, and kissed his neck. "Jimin, sometimes love isn't enough. My parents love each other, but they fight a lot because they are such different people with different interests. When you get older, the passion fades. Without common values, goals, beliefs, interests...it makes for a lonely existence despite being married to someone you love. Marriage is a serious business, and I don't take it lightly. I won't. Not after seeing how much pain my parents go through day in and day out, struggling to keep their marriage afloat.

"We're not your parents, Marci. And I already know we have a lot of common interests. We're both high school teachers. We both love nature—"

"And we both love each other. Jimin, I'm not saying I won't marry you. I'm saying not yet. I want to get to know you better. Really know you. And I want you to get to know me better."

"We both like working with children—"

"But do you want to have children?"

"Of course I do."

"I don't, Jimin."

Jimin's eyes widened, surprised to hear she had no interest in motherhood.

"You don't?! But you're so great with kids!"

"I love kids. I just don't want any of my own. I enjoy the freedom that comes from sending them home at the end of the day—or the end of summer camp. I get to be responsible for myself—and just myself—when I get home. And every dime I earn is spent on me. Call me selfish, but I don't want to give that up."

Jimin couldn't believe his ears. Angered, he grabbed his clothes and began to dress.

"I'm sorry your parents set a bad example of how a marriage should be and how to be a good parent, but it's not fair for you to take it out on me."