Chapter Seventeen

Even though Lania despised Slughorn for his remarkable efforts to appease her and Tom. In his eyes, friendly competition in the classroom was necessary for good grades and exemplary performance. Lania disagreed heavily, and in any conversation made several sarcastic remarks in which Slughorn either didn't pay attention to or dismissed.

"Vernise! So happy to see you, my dear, how are you this evening?" Slughorn greeted her.

Laina smiled tightly, "Just wonderful professor."

Slughorn nodded at her and then looked at Tom whose arm was still entwined with Lania. His eyes flashed in excitement as he stared at the two noticing all of the smaller details. Tom's green tie. Lania's green dress. Lania under his arm. He looked at her with her pride.

"Tom, did you happen to make a catch out of Miss. Vernise, perchance?" Slughorn asked.

Lania smiled lightly to herself while Tom fully entered the room and took her waist in his arms. He looked down at her for a moment before releasing a breath and looking up at Professor Slughorn, "Yes. It took me a while to admit it, however."

Slughorn looked ecstatic. Which in Lania's opinion, did not help anything. He shouldered the two the whole night. He made sure people knew of their relationship when boys would look at Lania for a moment too long or when a girl would suck up to Tom just a little too much.

Then he would introduce both of them to one influential person after another. The head of this department, the captain of this team, the owner of this store. Lania felt herself become dizzy with the number of people who jumped at the chance to meet the three.

"Professor, I think I may accompany Lania for a dance, take a break," Tom said.

He didn't listen to the response and dragged Lania to the dance floor who at this point wasn't watching where they were going. It was only until her feet were subconsciously moving in sync with the movement that she realized Tom had moved her to the middle of the dance floor.

"I didn't think we'd get to dance," Lania admitted after a minute.

 Tom looked down at her for a moment, there was something in her eyes. Joy? Maybe, innocence? Maybe. He wondered about her thoughts at the moment. Lania moved perfectly to the music, while Tom was a great dancer. Lania glittered.

Lania hummed with the music, "Staring makes false images in our mind."

Tom caught her waist and twirled her around, "I have the right to stare at my significant other."

"So formal." Lania teased, "Just enjoy the music. We are the most intelligent people in the school and possibly the most powerful - excluding Dumbledore-"

"Goodness, Lania. Dumbledore is on me like a hound, might we not discuss him right at this moment in time."Tom groaned, spinning her around again.

Lania laughed. Tom paused for a moment. He didn't think a sound so refreshing could come from anyone. He looked at her then, at that moment, really looked at her. Lania was truly the most beautiful thing in the world. Would he see her this way if the love potion didn't cancel out? No. He would not.

Lania smiled at him, "That wasn't my point, my dear. The point was, let's be teenagers who are dancing right now. Then you can kiss me sweetly when the music ends and we can go back to being big bad."

Tom let out a sigh, "I like being a 'big bad' though."

Lania threw her head down onto his shoulder as the two erupted into quiet fits of laughter, "You are such a baby."

Tom hummed with Lania against his chest as they swayed lightly. He felt something in his chest. Happiness, contentment, calmness, and love. He smiled to himself, a real genuine one. He promised himself at that moment that nothing would ever harm Lania. He would protect her, he would love her, she would be his, he would marry her, and they would rule the wizarding world together.

He had a new purpose. He would do everything for her, she was his rock and his life.

"Lania..." Tom whispered, "I love you. I love you more than the stars can shine, and everything I do is for the sake of your happiness."

Lania felt her chest swirl, "I love you too, Marvolo."

Tom smiled as he leaned down and kissed her sweetly. Lania captured the memory in her mind. She wanted to relive this at any time she could. She knew now what love was, what the books described. That was this feeling, that was what this was.

She knew she would do anything for the boy in front of her. If he asked for her help, she would. If he asked for her hand, she would say yes. She would devote herself completely. Lania knew why the knights gave so much, but Lania knew better. Tom was stable, feared, and powerful. But, Tom loved her, which meant more than anything.

In the middle of the dance floor, the clock struck midnight. Lania watched as Tom pulled away slowly with the change in his eyes. She took in a breath.

"You are mine." Tom whispered, "You chose me, now I choose you."

Lania nodded her head and watched as Tom smiled with a dark glint in his eyes. This time he came with a more desperate kiss.

"Come on now." Tom pulled away from Lania. She pouted slightly, "No, don't pout we have work to do love."

Lania sighed but nodded her head. The room slowly emptied as midnight passed. Slughorn however remained, bidding couples goodnight. Lania saw all of the people she had been tugged around to meet. It was sweet watching them leave.

She tugged on Tom's arm lightly, "How exactly are we doing this?"

Tom pointed to one of the last people shaking Slughorn's hand, "That is Linmer Joules, some important person in some department - I don't care. What we care about is Slughorn himself, all we're going to do is play favorites and charm him. Then, we get our answers out of curiosity."

Lania gave a hum of reply, "What do you want me to do?"