Chapter 1

Emma wondered what lead her to this moment, what in her life made her follow through for such stupid and idiotic reasons. Well, if she were to be honest, she knew very well what lead to this moment, what decisions were made, and what signs were ignored so she could end up like this.

Covered in ceiling bits, that is. 

"I've called your father-"

"-Yuugo?" 

The principal paused, less than amused. "Yes, Yuugo." She sighed, kneading in between her brows with her knuckle. Oh yes, she was not amused, Emma could see. "He's stuck at work, but said that he would deal with you later. For now, Emma, you know the drill by now... sadly." 

Emma nodded, offering a guilty smile as she stood up, bits of the ceiling falling off of her uniform. "So, how many days? Before I leave."

Isabella gave a tight smile as she responded. "Two days, Emma. One day for your little friend that put you up to this, just so you know, so don't think that you're the only one dealing with the consequences of your actions." She sighed. "Honestly, Emma, you'd be a star student if you could just act your age. So, please, I'm aware I've asked this of you every single time you've been suspended, but this time listen: think about your actions, reflect, come back having learned a lesson and I beg of you to let this be the last time I have to send you home for your behavior." 

Emma's lips pursed together tighter as she looked down at her feet. "I try to." 

The older woman's face softened, gentleness in her voice taking over. "I know you do, but one day I hope your efforts come to fruition." She paused. "Go on, and make sure your father doesn't lose his mind over this." 

"You and I both know Yuugo will." The young redhead let a chuckle escape her, her principal did her best to resist her laugh. "I'll see you on Thursday, Ms. Principal." 

"Yes, yes, run along now, and make sure to send in your little friend on your way out." Isabella waved her off. 

Emma smiled, sliding out of the office door and signaling to her poor friend Don that he was needed inside it; she would be lying if the look on his face didn't lift her mood a bit. 

Chipper as if she hadn't gotten the scolding of her life number one thousand and wasn't about to get the scolding of her life one thousand and one at home as soon as Yuugo got back, she skipped down her street without much running through her head. After all, it wasn't her fault the ceiling caved in, and it certainly wasn't her fault that Don had made her punishment for losing a game of Uno so harsh, though, she was willing to admit that agreeing to her bet was not her best idea. But yet again, it hadn't been her worst. 

The last two years of high school had been full of stories much worse than today's, the last 17 years even worse than both today and the last two years combined. She smiled fondly, Emma truly did live her life freely, though, lately, it seemed as if her antics had come with harsher consequences. She shrugged, a fact of growing older her supposed. 

She walked past the downtown area, resisting the urge to stop by someplace and grab a quick bite but even she understood that she was still in her uniform and taking a detour would cause a problem for her at school. Emma walked past without turning her head to all the delicious food displayed for her to want, it was a battle until she reached her apartment complex, running up the steps to her floor. 

Emma opened her door, kicking off her shoes and shutting the door behind her, a feeling of exhaustion hitting her as soon as she entered, leaning against the door with her eyes closed. For that moment she let herself wonder: what would Yuugo say this time? The last few times it had been simple punishments, like increasing her chore list or taking away some sort of privilege, but this time who knew? The last time this had happened hadn't even been more than a month ago, so surely the punishment would be worse than before.