28.

⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆ Ta'kari POV ⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆

So I'm sorry WHAT THE FUCK just happened.

One moment I was fucking around with Za'tarae, and the next I'm backed against the wall, and Aonung and I are inches apart.

And I can't deny what it did to me.

So fuck me, I find Aonung hot.

I always was able to admit he was good looking, and there had always been a minimal level of appeal there, but he is undeniably, insanely attractive.

It isn't just that he is crazy tall and stupidly muscularly broad, he is ludicrously attractive.

His voice was so rumbly and sly, and although his nervous bashfulness had been endearing and adorable as I shamelessly flirted with him, I can scandalously admit I thoroughly enjoyed being backed against the rocks with him towering over me.

I sneak a glance up at him as we move into the village, still walking in silence and avoiding each others gaze.

His jaw is clenched and I can see all the muscles in his neck are tensed. The veins in his arms are very prominent in his tense fists.

His ears are flattened, and every so often, he looks like he's trying to hide a wince.

I'm slightly embarrassed by getting caught, but I think we are both secretly wondering what would have happened if no one had interrupted. 

Would we have kissed?

I am not exactly an innocent woman, but why does something so trivial and meaningless as a kiss with my mate seem so drastically, life-alteringly important?

It probably wouldn't matter to Aonung, Tsireya has quite explained his previous sluttiness, and I can't comprehend why, all of a sudden, a kiss seems like such a big deal.

Or an almost kiss, for that matter.

We reach the Tsahìk marui and find Ronal waiting, cross armed, for us.

"How'd the two of you sleep last night?" Ronal says, squinting slightly.

"Fine," I say, smiling forcedly.

"And you just slept-"

"No," Aonung says sharply. "No no no. We are not doing this today. Why the fuck would Ta'kari and I do anything in a marui where my parents and sister or her best friend are sleeping?!"

"So it wouldn't be in the marui?" Ronal asks skeptically. "I'll have to be more careful about you two going off-"

"No!" I blurt, flushing furiously. "Aonung and I just slept Ronal, that's all."

"Well either way," Ronal says, shooting a suspicious look at her son, "I was glad to get some peace and quiet last night. And watch your language Aonung."

Aonung rolls his eyes and I awkwardly adjust my top.

"So... Tsireya said you wanted to talk to us about the ceremony?" I prompt.

"Yes," Ronal smiles, shaking her head slightly. "It is tradition for the ceremony to take place on the night of the high moon."

"The... the what?" I say, unsure.

Ronal squints at me a little.

"It must be Metkayina tradition," she says finally. "In Awa'atlu, the night of the high moon is when the moon is full and bright."

"Isn't that just full moon?" I ask. "Isn't it every month?"

"No, my dear," Ronal laughs lightly. "The high moon comes only once a decade, and Eywa has blessed us."