it may as well be you

"I'm pregnant."

That's what she'd told him, and it had been nothing but agonizing quiet since.

He must've had a million questions — or maybe he didn't. He might have been completely unphased, and she wouldn't even have been surprised.

Ever since Day One, he'd been distant. Even when he'd gradually let her in — given into his hunger, touched her as if she was his heaven — he was still worlds away.

She'd been waiting anxiously for his response, but after a while, she realized he was expecting her to keep on talking.

"I'm getting an abortion," she announced, willing herself not to search his face for any sign that he cared.

A beat passed, her words hanging heavily between them. The silence felt so long that when he did talk she jumped a little.

"When . . . will you . . ." He seemed to be choosing his words carefully. If she didn't know any better, she'd say he was trying to be considerate. "When will you . . . get it?"

"The abortion?"

He nodded once, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I have an appointment tomorrow morning."

"Will there be someone with you?"

"What?"

"I'm asking if you've arranged for someone to take care of you afterward."

"No," She said it like it was the most natural thing in the world and, for once, he was the irrational one for asking.

"What about your friends?"

"I can't disclose any information regarding my job to my friends and that includes the relationship I have with you."

The word 'relationship' pierced them, like a javelin through their bodies; neither of them knew why, though one was more puzzled than the other.

"And your coworkers?" he suggested after another beat, but he already knew she'd never dream of asking them.

She'd never dream of asking anybody.

As if she read his mind, she inhaled sharply and willed herself to stand tall: the silhouette of a perfect soldier. "I'll be fine, Sensei. It's really early, so I wouldn't have to undergo a major procedure or anything. I'll just arrive, they'll give me a pill, and I'll be on my way."

"I'll go with you,"

"Er, what?"

"I'll go with you," he repeated, very serious.

"You . . . You can't leave this Manor without an agent attending you,"

"I won't," Ayatsuji stated matter-of-factly. "You'll be with me."

And I'll be with you.

Tsujimura frowned, certain that they'd never manage to get away with something as reckless as what they were discussing. It wasn't possible. Not with the Special Abilities Division monitoring her monitoring him.

"I asked for the day off, so a different agent would be with you for that day. I'm off-duty."

"Cancel the substitute," Ayatsuji decided. "Treat tomorrow like a job."

"Why?"

"So I can accompany you."

She stared at him, utterly confused as to why he was so insistent on this. She hadn't even really planned on telling him about it, but it felt wrong not to let him at least know. She'd come this morning still unsure as to if she should confess, but upon entering his office he'd immediately deduced something was on her mind and had told her to say it, and the news just came out of her mouth like vomit.