The Red Rain

Inspired by Criminal Minds by Breen Frazier.

Warnings: profanities, trauma, mention of trauma, mention of sexual assault, abuses, bullying, politics, physical violence, graphic depiction of violence, blood, gambling, alcohol, death, major character death, suicide ideation and suicide, gun, arson, psychologically disturbing

This fanfiction is a work of fiction and is meant for entertainment purposes only. All characters, names of characters, places, and events, depicted in this story are pure fiction and belong to and from Akutami Gege's Jujutsu Kaisen except for my fanfiction plot and OCs. This story is not meant to defame/denigrate/hurt the sentiments of any person, religious group, community, institution, nationality, profession, or any class of person(s), gender, caste, or religion in any manner. This story deals with mature subject matter and contains scenes of a violent and disturbing nature, which may be unsuitable for children, and sensitive audiences. Readers are advised to exercise discretion as appropriate.

Play the song later at my cue.

Flashes of red and blue strobe light from the dispatched vehicles alternately painted the smoke resulting from unburned particulate matter. Thank God for the firefighter squad who arrived on time, quickly impending the chemical chain reaction of carbon conversing to carbon dioxide and water and removing elements of the fire triangle. A burning smoky smell filled Megumi's nostrils despite the mask he used for a crime investigation standard procedure.

The green-eyed man let out a rough sigh, running his fingers through his black hair that resembled a particular creature from the Echinodermata phylum. His frustration and crankiness seemed to elevate this particular Monday morning. Not that he wasn't cranky daily. It just increased a little because of his lieutenant and department chief, Gojo Satoru, who led the case of a serial arsonist. Although it was typical for everyone to sigh whenever Gojo Satoru acted up.

"I'll leave it to you, Megumi!~ After all, you were my treasure student in the academy!" Satoru's playful voice gradually faded as the man walked away from the crime scene, waving his hand and ducking his soaring height to get past the yellow police line tape. Megumi grumbled under his breath, clutching a piece of paper Satoru gave him from interviewing the witness.

"If it weren't for the fact that he raised me, I would-" Megumi stopped his fume mid-sentence and sighed again. He angrily scanned the paper. It contained basic information and initial testimony from the witness. One witness... Who happened to be the fire captain of the Shibuya District of the Tokyo Fire Department, Itadori Yuuji. Very curious.

"Megumi," A deep voice called him, making him dart his eyes from the paper to the man with a thin moustache before him. It's Chief Detective Shiu Kong. He usually visited Megumi because the younger man wanted to learn Korean literature and the language. Shiu's dark pupils dilate in amusement, puffing smoke from his cigarette. "You look so like your father frowning like that," Shiu commented, making Megumi sigh.

"The firefighter squad got here fast. Who called it in?" Megumi asked.

"Apparently, he's the fire captain from the Shibuya fire department. Itadori Yuuji," Shiu answered.

"The prime witness?" Megumi furrowed his eyebrows together in disbelief.

"Yes. You think it's a coincidence?" Shiu gave Megumi a side eye. The older man always trusted Megumi for his deduction and intelligence.

"Two times is a coincidence. Three times is a pattern," Megumi blankly said. "With exactly three hours intervals on the same day? Unlikely a coincidence."

"I worked with Captain Itadori many times before. He's a good man. Have you met him?" Shiu asked, blowing out his cigarette smoke again.

"No. The patrol officer and Gojo-sensei already took his statement. And don't you think it's inappropriate to smoke after an arson at the crime scene?" Megumi clicked his tongue. Shiu chuckled, throwing his almost-finished cigarette on the ground and stepping on it.