Chapter Ten... "A Luxurious Prison"

Ugh! Since when was there an alarm in her room.

Iris woke up to the sound of the high pitched ringing beeps that appeared to be close to her ear just beside the fancy looking lamp on the side table close to the bed.

Sitting up and holdng her head in her hands like they would drop, she wondered who would have kept the alarm by her bed side because she doesn’t recall being woken by an alarm in the two weeks she has been in this room nor the night before.

"Could it be Maria?" she wondered aloud, desperately trying to attribute the clock's presence to someone less unnerving. The mere thought of Leo or, worse yet, Ace lurking in her room while she slept was just very creepy but then if they were the ones what could she do or say about it? At this point, her life is not hers to control.

The alarm blinked its defiant time at her—5.30 a.m. Irritated, she reached over and silenced the insufferable contraption, leaving it back on the side table.

Well, this is another day in her luxirous prison except today, she gets to step out today. She was happy about that, however, her excitement waned as she contemplated the day ahead and with whom she'd be spending it. The thought of enduring training with the certified assshole, Ace, had her crumbling back to the sheets with a groan.

What bad deed had she done in her past life or in this present life to deserve this fate?

From being confined in a house with her sick mother to being confined in a room in a house owned by a dangerous man who hasn’t harmed her… yet.

It’s like she is being kept hidden from something she knows nothing about. Since she could remember, her life has been surrounded by walls.

Her mind wandered back to the time when she was thirteen—the days of her life in a distant house, isolated from the world in a sub- rural community. The house seemed carefully chosen by her mother, a place meant to shield them from prying eyes. Surrounded by a tall fence and iron gates, only her mother possessed the keys to until she turned older.

Her memories painted a picture of limited freedom, where she was allowed to roam within the fence but never outside. She seldomly saw cars pass by, a lot of aircrafts over the house and few people passing. The people were mere strangers, more interested in keeping their distance from the odd house because they saw it strange to want to pry and attempt to be friendly.

Curiosity got the better of her, and she had asked her mother after dinner in the living room why she couldn't play beyond the gates and meet other kids like those she saw on TV. Her mother's reply was both cryptic and foreboding.

“You are not like other kids Iris, you are special.” Her mother had replied. “You should know in this world, there is only the two of us. The world is too corrupt for such a sweet as girl as you and if we step out of the gate, bad things will happen to you and I won’t be able to protect you from it.”

Despite her young age, Iris was perceptive enough to understand what "bad things" meant. The news, even at her tender age, provided enough glimpses into the world's cruelty. Consequently, she stayed within the confines of their peculiar sanctuary.

Her mom kept her busy, she was home schooled, taught how to discreetly order the things they needed around in the house online. Anything she needed and had interest in that wouldn’t endanger or expose her was provided for by her mom. And over time, she stopped being curious about what was beyond the gate. Not until the day her mother died.

Her mother's passing, however, had awakened a yearning for the outside world. Alone in that space, her curiosity grew until it consumed her. That curiosity, coupled with the loneliness she felt, had led her to this predicament.

If she had been obedient, if she had just listened, she would have still been in her home, not nearly assaulted by those men and taken by Ace.

Now, she resided in this opulent room, filled with everything she could possibly desire, courtesy of the mysterious Ace but despite the luxurious accommodations, she couldn't shake the feeling of being trapped.