THE CELEBRATION

A/N: Ppl can say what they want to about this century, that it came on a seemingly flat pitch, it came against a team of minnows, that he only statpads and won't perform when it matters. Yeah IDC, let em bark, I'm just here to enjoy this last phase of his career, his 76 in the first match may not have been a century like Jaiswal's or Rohit's but it was a calculated knock on a turning pitch. Regardless, it was a sign he gave us in the first test he'll give us the 76th in the second ig. LOL. Onto the story anywho.

After their positively dominant win against the Windies in the first test, the mood at camp was absolutely lively and with Yashasvi notching up his maiden century on debut and Ro scoring a century too, the celebrations were in full swing. 

Virat was upset, no denying, he got dropped thrice, THRICE, and he couldn't capitalize on those 3 lives. It was easy for him to go on ground and dance along nonchalantly to the music in the stadium, it was easy for him to stand at slip with Shub and Ishan and just goof around. But it stung, helplessness crept in too, thinking what if that was it, his game against spin didn't get better, but he shook it off when he noticed Ro and Jammy bhai's worried glances thrown his way. He shook his head at them and proceeded to dunk Ro's face in the cake on the table as the others whooped at that.

 After all the boys headed back to their rooms after the long day, Virat went up to the terrace. Leaning against the railing heavily with his head on the cool metal he let out the loud groan of frustration he had been holding back all day. That's when he heard it, sniffles, he turned around looking for the source of the sound and when his eyes finally located it, his eyes softened and his heart tugged looking at the shivering, sniffling, silently crying tall lanky kid sitting huddled near the wall. 

Shubman was kicking himself for getting out the way he did. His confidence after the WTC was low as it is, of course Ro and Vi were always there supporting him, backing him, saying it'll all be fine and that he'll learn with experience, but the outside noise started to affect him even more, and the way he got out today the trolls were brutal, all asking for him to step aside and let Rutu play in place of him. His thoughts were all over the place as he sat huddled by the wall on the terrace, suddenly a hand brushed his hair and when he looked up and saw the concerned eyes of his biggest support system, he broke down as Virat held him, shushing him, urging him to calm down,

"Kiddo, you'll get sick. Calm down, it'll all be okay. It's okay it'll all be okay."

"No. Virat bhaiyaa they're going to drop me for the next match-"

"It's just one bad innings Shub, Ro and Jammy bhai are confident in your abilities okay? It was just a bad day."

"But Ro bhai and Yashasvi were able to score easily, why did I struggle?"

"Not just you kiddo, Jinksy and I had a tough time too, Jaddu too. The pitch was spinning from the first session but it got progressively worse as the innings progressed. It happens, you're young you still have lots of years to improve."

"Twitter pe sab bol rahe the ki, mujhe khelna hi nahi chahiye, Rutu ko khilana tha meri jagah."

"How many times have I told you...stay away from social media especially after you've had a bad match." Virat gently smacked the back of Shub's head as the kid buried his face in his neck and whispered a sorry. 

"Shub, the public will say whatever they want to, they don't know the amount of time you spend in the nets with me, they don't know the work you put in at the gym, I do, Ro does, our team does. Trust the process okay? Abhi abhi 3 pe khelna shuru kiya international mei, the transition wouldn't have been easy. By the time the 1 down or 2 down batsmen come in to bat, the conditons would have changed completely. We have one more test left, you'll do well in that, if not that then SA series hei you'll prove yourself, I have no doubt."