02. friend or foe - rewrite

02. friend or foe

     "Well do you plan on shooting me too?" Vera questioned as the man just stared at her, his crossbow held up

The boy just scoffed, "Its empty," he put his crossbow down and then strutted past her going over to where the dead rabbit resided. He plucked his arrow from the furry animal and then looked back at her, "the hell are you doin anyway, followin' me?"

"I wasn't following you I was taking a walk." the girl responded only slightly lying. The boy gave her a look that said he didn't believe her but continued on.

He walked past her without another word, she contemplated only a moment before deciding to follow after him, only this time she wasn't sneaking around. "Not gonna tell me you're name?"

the boy barley spared her a glance, "why do ya wanna know?" the boy asked, not used to attention, in the town they lived in people saw him and ran in the other direction. The Dixon name tainted by the actions of his father and older brother.

"call me curious." she responded simply.

"where the hell did ya come from anyway, never seen ya before?" questioned daryl.

"I just moved in." the girl answers.

"Where?" Daryl asked with a furrowed brow not remembering any vacant houses or moving trucks for that matter.

"The house, in the clearing, the white one." there were only two houses in the clearing, James' and the one she had seen the boy climb out off, but she wouldn't mention that ofcourse.

"James move out?" the young boy asked her out of genuine curiosity. Although Daryl and James hadn't had many encounters, the man always acknowledged him in a way the rest of the town refused to do. the older man always offered a simple head nod, or greeting, not writing Daryl off like the rest of the town because of who his family was.

"No he didn't move out," Vera answers hesitantly, "im living with him."

Daryl raised his brows at this, he had never seen James have family over or company at all for that matter, the older man mostly kept to himself.

"im uh- he's my grandfather," she clarified, the words sounding weird coming out of her mother. "Vera Hill." she said finally introducing herself, sticking a hand out for him to shake.

the boy looked at her skeptically, before returning the gesture and shaking her hand, "Daryl Dixon."

<><><>

     not long after introducing herself to Daryl did Vera decide to head back to James' house. obviously the younger man was busy hunting or whatever and she didn't want to intrude, she had found out his name and that's really all she wanted to know since seeing him climb out of the window.

the door to James' house was unlocked when she entered, the house was an open space due to its size, the kitchen and living room visible all at once. The man stood behind the kitchen counter cooking what seemed to be pasta when she had walked in.

"uh hey." she greeted the man.

"how was the walk." he replied doing his best to engage her in a conversation.

"It was good," the girl replied shortly, deciding to leave out the part about the boy she had met.

"thought I would make us some dinner." the old man told her gesturing to the pots on the stove.

"oh, thank you," she responded, wishing she could express her gratitude in a better way, it had been a while since she had a home cooked meal, with the condition her mother was in, she was often left to fend for herself. "that's nice of you."

James offered her a smile in return, the older man tried to think of something else to say, he was never the social type, that was often left to his wife, she was always the one to lure people in with her humor and blinding smiles.

"I think ill shower before dinner, if that's okay?" the girl asked.

"Ofcourse, there's extra towels in the bathroom cabinet, and there's a bunch of stuff in the shower, feel free to use whatever." the man exxplained.

"Okay, thank you."

the girl headed back to her room, grabbing a change of clothes to bring with her into the bathroom, and before she could make her way out and towards the bathroom she saw the boy once again from her window.

Only this time the boy was climbing back into the window of his house, and it was at that moment that she decided she wanted to know more about him.

.

AS ALWAYS BE SURE TO VOTE AND COMMENT PLEASE!